Model Forests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too far from Timber, OR about 45 minutes to the south cool country and steep ground.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

20 acres to get enough savings ahead, after that I stay fairly busy. Just need to have a cushion before jumping.

Have a few contacts with medium woodlands, but they want someone with processors and yarders etc. Someday, but I ain't goin that far in debt just to maybe get a job that maybe pays off.

20 acres to get enough savings ahead, after that I stay fairly busy. Just need to have a cushion before jumping.

Have a few contacts with medium woodlands, but they want someone with processors and yarders etc. Someday, but I ain't goin that far in debt just to maybe get a job that maybe pays off.
Do a little looking there's associations here in Oregon called the small woodlands acreage from 20 all the way up past 10k being a part of them most here want small nimble operations in.

20 acres i keep sayin... would launch me full time loggin...
How long did it take you for that clearcut you posted videos of? That was 4-5 acres right? I'm going to sound like an ass when I say this but that should take you a little over a week cut/skid even with obstacles. That's if you want to make money. I did a five acre cut two springs ago in small ugly wood. The woods was split in two divided by a main transformer line that ran east to west through it. On the far north side there was the regular line running down the road. On all sides were farm fields that I was not supposed to go in. It was a ***** and very nerve wracking. Took me 7 days of hard pushing. 75 cords and 15mbf later. The wood was mostly pulp 6-8 inches on the stump. Most of the saw log trees ran along the power lines. Had to stick a wedge in nearly every one. I did not have to pop stumps or haul my own wood, but I would give another week for that. Like I said I probably sound like a jerk, but if you want to make it go that's what you need to do. You may need to hook up with a mill or forester and sub for a little while to keep wood ahead of you. The last time I did twenty acres of big timber (pulp included) it took me two months.

That was only half an acre... and it took like 2 months

weather and break downs being the biggest hurdle, lost the excavator fer 2 weeks with a fuel issue, and along with throwing a track every other day didn't help.

That and nearly a third needed to be rigged and pulled, couldn't get the excavator behind them, just takes time, especially when solo.

but yer right, I need to push a little harder.

Another hurdle is not being a certified logger some mills won't take wood from you and some jobs won't happen without it.

Another hurdle is not being a certified logger some mills won't take wood from you and some jobs won't happen without it.

Like the old saying; ( catch 22)

You can't have a job unless you're in the union ..
and to be in the Union you have to of had a job.

If your heart was in logging when your azz would be in debt.

This is called logging not logic.

I really question your heart.

Mills don't care, but the stewardship forest program does, its something I've been putting off, classes are like once or twice a year, and before I've always had to work cause they seem to like wed or thur nights in centrailia... We'll see what happens in the next few months.

If your heart was in logging when your azz would be in debt.

This is called logging not logic.

I really question your heart.

See, I'm already in debt what with a house payment and stuff... going further into debt in order to scrape by and end up still owing doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Also I just looked at a job the the previous dinks are still tearing up, they went out got a big fat loan, bought a skidder, an excavator, and a self loader...

but they didn't buy any ****ing brains to go with it, on a 1/4 acre clear there is probably a load of broken fir, they've broke their skidder twice now, had to put new tires on it already, and they aren't done yet. They've managed to rut the dog **** out of a tiny piece of dirt, cause they aren't smart enough to either cut the stumps lower or drive around the ****ing thing, instead they get hung up and dig some ditches trying to get out...

Note this is the same patch I first used my skidder on 3-4 years ago, but I couldn't be there quick enough, so they got these other guys...

Come monday, I may be kicking them off and trying to salvage what I can, at expedited rates.

Point is folks I see in this industry are in it for the long game, those holding bank notes end up holding nothing come time to retire, those that built slowly, are having themselves a nice retirement.

Honestly, I'm about where I wan't to be as far as equipment, a dozer would be neat, but not worth owning, a full size dump truck would be neat, but I'm not sure its worth owning (tires, tonnage, insurance go logging or go trucking...) a feller buncher or processor would mean a massive loan at this point, like buying a second house massive... And its simply not worth busting my ass just to pay the bank.

Back