Morbark Model 7 repower options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
(also posted in the Morbark forum, but that doesn't seem too active)

My Model 7 has a Wisconsin W21250 engine, still runs strong but burns a lot of oil. I put some ring seal stuff in this summer to limp me to the winter.

I'd like to get the motor rebuilt, but I'm having a hard time sourcing parts. wondering if you can suggest a supplier for parts to re-build the motor?

If not what would be a good alternative for a new motor? I've priced out a 25hp briggs commercial that looks like it may fit with minimal modifications. My concern with a new motor is the starter. The starter on the Wisconsin is huge, like a car starter, and rightly so, since it is turning over the motor and the chipper drum. I'm afraid a wimpy starter on a new motor that is just designed to crank over the motor with end up being a problem having to get the drum rotating too. Thoughts on this?

Thanks, Mike

(also posted in the Morbark forum, but that doesn't seem too active)

My Model 7 has a Wisconsin W21250 engine, still runs strong but burns a lot of oil. I put some ring seal stuff in this summer to limp me to the winter.

I'd like to get the motor rebuilt, but I'm having a hard time sourcing parts. wondering if you can suggest a supplier for parts to re-build the motor?

If not what would be a good alternative for a new motor? I've priced out a 25hp briggs commercial that looks like it may fit with minimal modifications. My concern with a new motor is the starter. The starter on the Wisconsin is huge, like a car starter, and rightly so, since it is turning over the motor and the chipper drum. I'm afraid a wimpy starter on a new motor that is just designed to crank over the motor with end up being a problem having to get the drum rotating too. Thoughts on this?

Thanks, Mike
My brush bandit model 65 with a 25hp kohler is direct belt drive to the disc (no clutch) When you turn the key the disc starts spinning. It has plenty of power to spin the disc and the hydraulic pump for the feed wheel without burning up starters. I would put a 35 hp briggs vanguard or subaru on it.

I'm in the process of dropping a 1505 Kubota 35hp in my Morbark. Starter is huge just as you said. The new one came with an aux hydraulic pump. Thinking bout what I could power with it.

Go to your local Bobcat dealer, all the old bobcats had either Wisconsin 30hp or 35hp in them!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My first mobark 7 had a 25hp honda motor on it. Worked perfectly, until the govener spring broke and I ran to high RPM and threw a rod

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I had one run dry without oil a few years back. Only damage was one big end connecting rod bearing smeared. I found a company online, called them with the model of the engine, they told me what bearing I needed to order and shipped it out that day. Finding parts online wasn't easy, had to call and talk to a real person.

Most of the information for working on them I found on farm related forums since so many of them were used on balers and farmers always rebuild old motors. When they can't rebuild they find an old motor in a wrecking yard and rebuild that.

Back