Morning visitors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great pics in this thread. I've got evening visitors, they come around at nightfall. They're easy to spot in the darkness I've got foxes hanging around in the vicinity of my woodpile, so I left out a pan of dog food to lure them in with for a pic tonite. Foxes have a keen sense of smell and they'll find that dog food quickly. They're real easy to spot at night, their eyes reflect light back towards your light, you'll see two bright yellow dots, and at great distances.

fox near woodpile.jpg fox with star eyes.jpg

We've had extreme rains around here all summer and fall. Many lower fields and road ditches are flooded.

On Monday I saw a grey squirrel swimming across a ditch. I thought it was a muskrat until I got closer and saw the fluffy tail. He was hauling too, pretty impressive swimmer lol. Wish I had the phone out for a pic.

We had these guys show up a few times this past spring. Momma bear and her 3 cubs

EK000042_zpsfu7pi5q0.jpg

So what was cute at first, now has my wife worried. I have this doe and two fawns that may not be able to leave my fence...five strand electric. I'm sure she can leave, but is she staying because the fawns won't mess with the fence? They appear to always be in the fence and she is skinny...not sickly but you can see her ribs....and she is brazen, always cleaning up after the goats. Afraid of us, but not very. Unlike Nates muleys, our yard deer are usually pretty wary.

You can't see through the foliage of this recently fenced in 2 acres so it will be tough to "herd" them out the gate, but we will try tomorrow. The crossbow pic was a joke for my wife.

On a side note, we have a very sick goat that may be related (if it's deer worm)

Attachments

• IMG_8737.JPG
    IMG_8737.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
So, they can come and go without any problem. We herded them out and the fawns easily dive between strands. I guess the just prefer living on the inside.

I chased one of the little ones with the lawnmower for about ten minutes. It didn't think it could make it over the fence and kept circling the yard. The rest of the family joined it once I got 50' or so away. Some of them are tame enough to hand feed. Apple trees in my back yard keep them coming back.
IMG_1442.JPG

Red fox in backyard7:15 am yesterday- first time I have see him all year, later mowing the yard surprised a weasel in the wood stack. Only got a very short glimpse . Wasn't the same as the small ones I have seen before much larger all dark brown on top side not the light almost reddish of the other. Nope wasn't a rat either nice furry tail. Might have been a mutant squirrel I suppose but don't have any reds here just gray's, couple years back had an all white, gray around- likely had a short life cycle due to Hawks and Owls.

Latest posts

Back