Moss' 'poor man's pantin' to the rescue!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A shout out to Moss...the 'poor man's pantin'(PMP) came in handy last week!

I had to climb up 'midair' to set a rigging point for a branch removal, after a couple of slipping footlocks I remembered the PMP...made the locking loop around my foot and was able to stand up on it properly and go up, instead of looking like an arthritic frog!!

Its just a loop of the climb line around the arch of your foot, point your toe and it locks, allowing you to stand on the 'tail', flex your foot and slide up for the next grab...

Good one to bring out for the job of the day when you've left the real Pantin back in the truck!!

Ta Moss!:cheers:

Much better than the arthritic frog action hey!!!:clap:

Pics or it did not happen:hmm3grin2orange: I have used that method in the past but for descending due to only one rope then and don't recommend it for that. I look like a duck outta water foot locking on assent and prefer thrust for myself:cheers:

Its just a loop of the climb line around the arch of your foot, point your toe and it locks, allowing you to stand on the 'tail', flex your foot and slide up for the next grab...

Does it matter if the loop around your foot is clockwise vs. anticlockwise?

Ever have one of those aggravating up/down/up/down/up/down days where by the end of the day your arms feel like lead? Thats when the Poor Man's Pantin really bails me out. I'll join you in the toast to Moss: :cheers:

I don't know who invented it, used quite a bit by rec climbers in the southeast U.S., that's where I learned it. Here are photos showing the rope and foot positions, glad it worked for you Bermie. I named it the Poor Man's Pantin 'cause I refused to spend on a Pantin for two years and climbed on the PMP instead, finally gave in and got the Pantin 'cause it rocks of course. The PMP definitely comes in handy and as mentioned can be combined with a Pantin for side-by-side double foot power, kind of a fake ropewalker, improves SRT or DRT footpower when you're climbing away from the trunk. With one foot free PMP can be climbed against the trunk same as you can do with a Pantin.

Rope position for right foot
447315264_cacb329180.jpg

Point toe down to lock
447314848_9eac845afe.jpg

Lift toe up and raise leg to advance, more than 10-15 ft. of rope tail below you it self advances, less than that and you can wiggle your foot and advance it, or to get off the ground advance by hand for the first couple of pulls.
447321005_ffe816a37b.jpg

Photo set on flickr

-moss

I don't know who invented it, used quite a bit by rec climbers in the southeast U.S., that's where I learned it. Here are photos showing the rope and foot positions, glad it worked for you Bermie. I named it the Poor Man's Pantin 'cause I refused to spend on a Pantin for two years and climbed on the PMP instead, finally gave in and got the Pantin 'cause it rocks of course. The PMP definitely comes in handy and as mentioned can be combined with a Pantin for side-by-side double foot power, kind of a fake ropewalker, improves SRT or DRT footpower when you're climbing away from the trunk. With one foot free PMP can be climbed against the trunk same as you can do with a Pantin.

Rope position for right foot
447315264_cacb329180.jpg

Point toe down to lock
447314848_9eac845afe.jpg

Lift toe up and raise leg to advance, more than 10-15 ft. of rope tail below you it self advances, less than that and you can wiggle your foot and advance it, or to get off the ground advance by hand for the first couple of pulls.
447321005_ffe816a37b.jpg

Photo set on flickr

-moss

I did not invent it but used it many times and was not taught it ! Once you go to wrapping for logs and stuff this just came natural. Now the dragging bowline is taught lmfao:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back