Motomix vs. Trufuel vs. VP vs Non-E 94 + Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacktop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just replaced my MS290 with a Stihl MS271. According to the dealer, I burned up the cylinder/piston in my MS290 because I ran non-oiled fuel. I was baffled by this statement because I have always used Stihl HP oil (2.5 gallon mixture) with 2 gallon non-Ethanol (Pure) gasoline. He said I probably didn't shake it up well after mixing the two. I never did the shaking, believing just pouring the mixture in before putting the gas in was sufficient. So now I am concern that I have been doing it wrong all these years. I have been reading about these pre-mixed fuels that are $6 - $8 a quart. Everything I read about comparisons in posts are at least a year old so I am asking the question anew. Is there a difference between Motomix, Trufuel, or VP? Does it really matter which one you use? If I go the non-Ethanol route should I be buying the 94 octane non-E and mixing it with the Stihl HP 2.5 gallon mixture? There is only one place in our town, Perry GA, to buy non-Ethanol - Pure station. I do not use my saw everyday. But.....when I start using it I will go through a gallon or so before it sits another month or so. I am looking for advise. Thank you.

During the height of mowing season I just use the highest octane at the pump. A gallon never lasts more than a week. I run that in both Stihl weedeaters and the blower. For my chainsaw and at the end of the season I switch to Motomix. In another week I will run the blower and weedeaters out of gas and store for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd only use the canned stuff if ethanol free gas wasn't locally available. Stuff is way too pricey. As far as storage goes, I wouldn't store fuel over the cold season due to condensation. Just pour your leftover mix into your vehicle, it won't hurt a thing.

Your dealer shop probably doesn't know what they are talking about or were feeding you a line of crap. Good luck with that in the future...

Also, the turbulence from the gas pump should mix it well enough if you add the oil after putting a small amount of fuel in first. A good shake doesn't hurt though...

Use the non ethanol gas you get, synthetic mix oil, mix well, slosh the can around. I also reslosh before tank fill ups. That's all I do, gas lasts a long time.

Not a fan of 50:1, want a bit more oil than that. 32-40:1

If I only used small amounts of two stroke mix, i would buy the canned fuel and use that, whatever I could find the cheapest, 8 a quart is silly though. Well, five a quart is silly, too, but less silly. Gas at the pump this year dropped a lot, WTF the canned fuel guys haven't dropped their prices as well.

yeah zog pump gas has fell in the hole here also i hope it keeps falling i paid last week for 5 gallons of 90 ethanol free it was 3.04 per gallon
reg 87 is 2.71

A couple of years ago I ordered 2 Stihl piggyback cans from Europe via ebay. The cans were of a white opaque plastic instead of the normal red plastic. (They also did not come with an EPA spout!). I still use these cans BTW. Anyway I could hardly believe my eyes at how long it took to completely mix either Opti 2 or Stihl Ultra. Now I add half the gas, then the oil, lastly the rest of the gasoline and shake for a couple of minutes.

Here is a pic that shows the Stihl piggyback can though not in great detail. I really like the white can except it does not show up in the woods.

Gas at the pump this year dropped a lot, WTF the canned fuel guys haven't dropped their prices as well.

That stuff has been over priced forever, like preying on hurricane victims by selling plywood for $40 a sheet. I drive the hour to a non-e station, fill up 20 gallons and run that exclusively. Run it at 40:1 instead adding a little measure of cushion.

I been doing it wrong for 40+ years as well, add oil... fuel the can and dump it in.

Back