Motomix vs. Trufuel vs. VP vs Non-E 94 + Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has their preference...the AVgas has stabilizers blended right in...which makes it nice for the infrequent user.

Non ethanol pump premium is excellent if you run your equipment regularly.

Canned fuel is great if you only use your saw after a hurricane or are one of those creepy doomsday prepper people.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't AV fuel LL (low lead)? Why not run 114 LL from a dirt track? Would probably be half the cost of AV ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't AV fuel LL (low lead)? Why not run 114 LL from a dirt track? Would probably be half the cost of AV ?

Your suggestion is a valid one. No idea on cost difference. No dirt tracks within 100 miles of me. Airport is only 20.

Canned fuel is great on our fire trucks for the saws. Keep at least one sealed can available at all times. Way less stink than a plastic fuel jug in the saw compartment.

Remember on pumps with multiple grade and long hoses, on small purchases, you are getting what the last guy got out of the hose first.

I always pump a gallon in the truck first. Then fill jug with stihl ultra 1 gallon bottle then top with .80 gallons of non-e prem. Mix well.

Everyone has their preference...the AVgas has stabilizers blended right in...which makes it nice for the infrequent user.

I've never used AV gas in my saw, but you're very right there. Plus there is a degree of quality control MO gas doesn't get. I used to mix pump gas and 100LL for my 2 stroke bikes when I used to race them. We didn't have ethanol gas then (except for that brief time we had the "gasahol" thing going on). I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.

I wish I lived near a track to buy pump race gas for lots of stuff, but it's a long haul for me too - about 150 miles.

There is a lot of logging going on around here where I live (I'm just a couple miles from a pulp mill), so ethanol free gas is fairly common here.

We have a large citco truck stop not to far away and they have the 114. I will get a price next time I go past. Next few days.

There is a reason we use the term 'mix' this is because we mix pump gas with pre-mix oil. Both 2dogs and Chris aka kenjax make good points. A clear container will show just how well different oils mix with pump gas. l get all sorts of funny looks as l vigorously shake a 2.5 gal gas container in the middle of a service station. I really give it a good swirl/shake-up and like Chris mentioned and its probably overkill but I am confident that my mix is mixed. Another thing to consider is how accurate your mix is. I bet if l asked 100 AS members what mix ratio they ran and tested the mix out of their saws.....the difference would be huge. A well calibrated mix jug is a good investment for the 5 odd bucks it costs.

There is a reason we use the term 'mix' this is because we mix pump gas with pre-mix oil. Both 2dogs and Chris aka kenjax make good points. A clear container will show just how well different oils mix with pump gas. l get all sorts of funny looks as l vigorously shake a 2.5 gal gas container in the middle of a service station. I really give it a good swirl/shake-up and like Chris mentioned and its probably overkill but I am confident that my mix is mixed. Another thing to consider is how accurate your mix is. I bet if l asked 100 AS members what mix ratio they ran and tested the mix out of their saws.....the difference would be huge. A well calibrated mix jug is a good investment for the 5 odd bucks it costs.

Whole heartedly agree, a well calibrated mix, is the key. Units of measure involved and user ability is important. Here in Canada one can no longer purchase a gallon (US or Imperial) of gas by measure at a calibrated pump. Yet most saw owners to pump from a calibrated metric pump, into a metric fuel can then decide to add a ratio of oil calculated on oz. and gal. .

Premix Husqvarna, Stihl and TrueFuel in Canada are all blended and packaged at the same plant. VP well still waiting for the local distributor to actually get some, but most like, blended and packaged at the same place.

Most chainsaw users lean out there saws by adding more oil, thinking its better (most users do not make a carb adjustment to compensate for the lean mixture).

I've been told that canned fuel is a highly-refined fuel. I have my doubts.

I'm thinking it's just Non-E, 92 octane pump gas with some oil and a stabilizer added in.

Oh yeah, and as we all know, it's not just expensive, it's very expensive. Hell, the can it comes in probably costs $2-3 dollars alone, second only to the cost of convenience.

Remember on pumps with multiple grade and long hoses, on small purchases, you are getting what the last guy got out of the hose first.
the ethanol free pump is separate from the other pumps and the gauge is mechanical the pump is neat because when it hits one gallon it rings a bell inside the pump

Put the oil in the can first, oil with a little petrol mixes far better than petrol with a little oil. Oil first then you're adding petrol to already mixed mix.

And oil settles out of mixed fuel SO SHAKE IT EVERY FILL!

"My saw blew up and I need a new one because I mixed my fuel properly and shook my can before each fill" said nobody, ever.

After a few carb and fuel line failures recently I began using the premix stuff in my 2 stoke equipment that I don't use to often like a hedge trimmer. I also winterize my equipment with it. I dump the pump gas and run I a little bit through until it runs out of gas. I bought a new husky 570 BTS back pack blower and bought a gallon of huskys premix to extend the warranty to 3 years. The only thing I noticed is that The husky premix, vp, or trufuel premix do not smoke as much as pump gas with stihl ultra oil. I just tried the trufuel and had no issues with it. Around here it's about $2-$3 cheaper than the other premix brands.

true fuel 40:1 and 50:1 in the 1 gallon cans is 17.99 plus tax here or the quart cans are 5.99 plus tax.

Back