Moving and strapping slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
hey guys,

I have a big oak on my property that's not the most accessible spot. I am curious what my options are for moving big oak slabs (it's 31" diameter) without any equipment.

Are there any good rugged carts I could get that could be maneuvered through the bumpy woods? Any input would be appreciated.

On a side note, Bob I know you were talking about bands for tightening stacked and a ticketed slabs together.

Can you maybe provide me with a link as to what I would need to buy for that. I wanna see if the cost is worth it for me. Thanks.

BOA

A tall hand cart with pump up wheels can move a reasonably thick shortish slab.
Some of the slabs I have moved this way have been up to 4" thick, and some up to ~8 ft long (not both at the same time)
It's relatively easy once the longer ones are upright but that is indeed the hard part so it then becomes a two person job although using a hoist of some kind would be one way to do it on your own.
I have seen a small boat trailer winch on a gantry used to lift one end of heavy slabs but it was a relatively slow process.

In terms of banding I use Signode 3/4" banding tools - look up Signode banding tools on eBay and you will see what I mean.
At minimum you will need a tensioner and a crimper - sometimes the tools, including the band cutter, can come on the same tool but I reckon it's better to get them as separate tools.
Beware of buying any used gear, especially the tensioner as the grippers eventually get so worn they will not grip the steel bands properly or at all. If its a quality product new grippers can be purchased.
The nuisance for the occasional user is that strapping has to be purchased in 100' rolls and clips or buckles in bags of st least 100.
Some sort of banding dispenser is essential otherwise the band wants to unravel itself into an unbelievable mess.
All this makes setting up a tad expensive.

From memory it cost me about US$300 to get completely set up, tools (tensioner, crimper, snips) , dispenser (home made based on a budget [$20] handcart), tool box, several rolls of banding and box of 1000 clips
Here is the dedicated hand cart and home made dispenser, all the tool box .

IMG_3052.jpg

Wow a lot of great info as usual. I'm going to look into those tools on eBay ASAP. Seems a lot easier than finding large rocks and big pieces of wood to weigh down my piles :angry:

That's what we use to band slabs. Have racks to toss them in as they come off the mill and when it's full band it up, pull it out of the rack and sell it.

In the pics of the log truck, I put up there's a rack.

Not sure on moving big slabs, what we have isn't all that big as we try to save as much wood off a log as possible.

What do you mean by "without any equipment"? I assume you milled it in place. With time & elbow grease, you could move the slabs with a come-along or boat winch. 12 V electric winch even better (wouldn't take much). You could build a skid to put under the slabs to make them easier to pull and keep them clean.

If they are real big why not cut them up in managable pieces?

We usually leave them in whatever length, but at the worst they are a 2 person lift to throw in the rack.

Travois and a horse or 2-3 buddies to pull. They still use animal power to skid logs out in different parts of the world. Oxyokes can fit around the necks of people too ya know :)

Latest posts

Back