MS 180 leaking oil. Is this common to this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This saw has been used lightly but has a rather large oil leak.

I haven't had time to take a close look so thought I'd ask if this was a common problem on this saw. Is there a "most likely" cause to this?

it is not uncommon for a chainsaw to leak some bar oil.

some seem to do so more than others and additionally,
some are known as "leakers" it seems.

take off the b/c, clean it up abit and figger out where it's coming from.

Last edited:
leaky 180

I have a pre MS model and the saw has leaked from day one. I even had the dealer take a look at it and he said all looked good(and it continues to leak). None of the other saws leak like this one, give it day and it will be sitting in a pool!

Look on the bottom of the crankcase, just above the wrap handle segment,
the oil tank/line presses into a hole going into the bottom of the fuel pump,
and the fuel line has a grommet/lip coming out of the oil tank, make sure they are all properly in the holes....

I now have two 180's, the first one I brought to use for firewood and the second I brought "spares or repairs" to sell on. Both these saws leak bar oil! The first is very slight, the second floods out, you cant leave the tank full when not in use. I tried super glue round the old oil pipe, it sealed for about 10 minutes, then went back to leaking! Got a new oil pipe from the dealer and put it on, still leaks like a sieve!! I've given up trying to fix it! I'll sell the other one on and keep the leaky one, get back to trying to fix it when I get more patients, its really trying me! :cry:

same thing here my 180 leaks a little bar oil like acouple of drops every week but it really doesnt bother me too bad because the oiler works fine:givebeer:

Back