MS 241 c-m or 543xp or ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
Reaction score
Come mid July, I'll be in the market for new light/small saw for quick limbing work and small firewood bucking (up to 10" or maybe even 12"). Something I can grab quickly and easily out from behind the truck seat when into smallish felling and firewood bucking.

The 550xp or 545 are the obvious replacements to my 346xp, but I'm thinking even lighter and less expensive might be nice, as my 562xp will handle the real grunt work most of the time.

This new second saw will likely not get that much work - I scrounge about 10 to 15 cords of soft and hard firewood a year - like I said, the 562xp will do the most grunt work.

I understand the 543 does not have autotune while the 241 has m-tronic and that the husky is slightly lighter. Dealer doesn't have the husky in stock just the 241-cm, but he can order me whatever I want.

Would appreciate feedback from those here who have used either of these 2 small saws.

~ Can you lean on them a bit if you need to push through slightly larger wood than they were intended for?
~ How is the sturdiness factor in the 543xp?
~ Which one has the edge?
~ Am I going to kick myself for not splurging on a 550xp? ( I do appreciate solid performance)
~ Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Get a demo saw first

If your dealer has any juice at all with his Stihl or Husky reps they should be more than able to get a demonstrator saw in your hands for a couple days. (If not find a real dealer.) Doing so will allow you to make up your own mind based upon solid knowledge of the product and not the pi$$ing contest that's about to follow.

Take Care

I have a 543xp and the older guys always pick it over the 550xp. Me being young and strong I like the 550. 543 likes to rev, its either revving or bogging. Takes a light touch to be fast.

I think the benefits of a 241 only show themselves in long days. I have no experience with the 543. For a saw that will do minimal work, I can't see that there is a benefit in buying a new saw vs a rebuild on the 346.
A rebuilt, ported 346 is still cheaper than buying a new saw and will run rings around the two options you have mentioned.
Source - I still run an oe346.

thanks for the feedback.

Rebuilding a 346xp is also a good option but I will have a few extra sheckles in my jeans after some hard work this June. It's reward time ; )

Redmax not available in my area in BC but point well taken. Dolmar would be also in the mix if local dealers had them. And then I guess I should also look at an MS250 but I'm spoiled with pro version saws.

Get a demo saw first

If your dealer has any juice at all with his Stihl or Husky reps they should be more than able to get a demonstrator saw in your hands for a couple days. (If not find a real dealer.) Doing so will allow you to make up your own mind based upon solid knowledge of the product and not the pi$$ing contest that's about to follow.

Take Care
Good advice - unfortunately the dealer that gives me deep discounts doesn't offer demos.

I've also from time to time considering the MS241C-M VW vs HVA543XPG dilemma. The need for heated handles of the lightest saw is my prime criteria.

Up to know I've always been returning to the 50cc class of saws, which can both take longer bars, robust .325" chains of various gauge and have heated handles.

I'm currently considering going the full way looking for a light saw, based on my good experience with the MS192C-E, namely the professional MS201 (however missing the heated handle option).

My light saw is a Redmax 3800. I think they go for about $220. You could buy two and still have $100 left over than if you bought a 241. The Redmax is a pound and three quarters lighter too.
I have cut a lot of ceder with mine.

That Redmax also has a much lower power output, in addition to a lower weight - it simply isn't on the same class, more comparable to MS200/201 or Husky 339xp (or the current 439) in size. The choise depends on that your needs are.......

The GZ 4500 would be more comparable to the saws this is about (but still a lower power output), and the GZ4300 (not on the Zenoah web-site yet) is the 543xp (or vice versa really).

I think the benefits of a 241 only show themselves in long days. I have no experience with the 543. For a saw that will do minimal work, I can't see that there is a benefit in buying a new saw vs a rebuild on the 346.
A rebuilt, ported 346 is still cheaper than buying a new saw and will run rings around the two options you have mentioned.
Source - I still run an oe346
Same here & very hard to beat!!!

any rebuilders here in western Canada ? border hassles can be a real pain not to mention they sometimes hold things up at customs for weeks.

That Redmax also has a much lower power output, in addition to a lower weight - it simply isn't on the same class, more comparable to MS200/201 or Husky 339xp (or the current 439) in size.

What's the story on the 439 ST?
Strato and clamshell?
It appears behind the 201 in power and weight.
Certainly not likely to see one in Aus. That market is just about dead, stihl don't bring in the 192ce anymore and haven't brought the 201ce and don't have any plans to.

What's the story on the 439 ST?
Strato and clamshell?
It appears behind the 201 in power and weight.
Certainly not likely to see one in Aus. That market is just about dead, stihl don't bring in the 192ce anymore and haven't brought the 201ce and don't have any plans to.

Anther Zenoah in Husky dress - I wouldn't be surpriced if it really is a rear handle version of the T435.

It is not a replacement for the 339xp, but made to hit a lower price point, and vith more plastic in the design. Sort of a replacement for the 336 regarding power output - but not on par with it regarding build quality.

I thought RedMax quit making saws? Will there be a GZ4300?

Redmax never really made any chainsaw and other OPE - it was a brand name used for marketing Zenoah products in the US.

After Husky bought Zenoah from Komatsu in 2006/2007, some models have been rebranded both ways.

Zenoah surely still are making saws, but for all I know they may have stopped rebranding them Redmax and/or selling them in the US?

...stihl don't bring in the 192ce anymore and haven't brought the 201ce and don't have any plans to.

The non-Strato Stihl MS192CE is obsolete and it's stock is soon emptied. Although it's been a popular model, it might be replaced with the MS150(T)CE being the worlds lightest chainsaw. Hardly can see a reworked Strato model of the MS192 appearing on the market.

Back