MS 310 milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybodog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this saw is not big enough for milling but I just want to square up a few cedars. Is there special chain or a special angle to grind the chain to? Regards Dwayne

Milling chain: Cutters filed at a 10 degree angle. Most milling chains are lowpro, narrow, skip tooth or a combination.

I milled 6X6's for the foundation of an 8'X12' addition on my old hunting trailer. I used regular Stihl chain out of the yellow box, it's more aggressive than the stuff in the green box, and a cheep Haddon Lumber Maker. It bolts to your bar with a "C" clamp and 3 hex screws, then rides along a 2X4 screwed to the log. Stihl Farm Boss 290. I milled 6 12 footers and then cut them down to size as I needed them. For a small task like you stated, your saw will work fine as is.

I know this saw is not big enough for milling but I just want to square up a few cedars. Is there special chain or a special angle to grind the chain to? Regards Dwayne
muff mod if you think you can. Go slow according to the equipment until you can go a bigger saw from the tradingpost or craigslist

also check out what BobL's responses on set rakers

I used progressive raker depths. Nominally they're 1/10th of the gullet width.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/search/1957573/?q=progressive+rakers&o=relevance&c[node]=62

I'm lucky enough to be in the same city as this great man, So I do mine his way. :)

I do not think you should have no trouble cut with a MS310, for what I understand, it's basically the same size as my MS391.
It works fine cutting with as long as you have a sharp chain and not rush it.

Here are some movies when I saw with it

I do not think you should have no trouble cut with a MS310, for what I understand, it's basically the same size as my MS391.
It works fine cutting with as long as you have a sharp chain and not rush it.

Here are some movies when I saw with it

Wow that looks cool . Thanks for the reply.

I'm new to milling. Actually just getting my mill this week ,Tuesday. I also am planning on giving my ms310 a go at it. So the reassurance from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back