MS 441 CMW, convert to full wrap (OEM)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torgeir

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker from Norway. Been around saws all my life, owns a farm, Chevy is the only car make, works as a professional firefighter, married and one kid. Beer is wonderful.. What more to say:)

I just got me a 441 with heated handles, and was wondering if anyone had some experience with converting it to full wrap. My local dealer wouldnt help me, but I live in Norway, and my dealer is very boring and uptight, so i'll ask the guys at the interweb.

Can I order a complete full wrap (with heating), can I order just the full wrap and transfer the existing heating? What are my options?

Torgeir

Welcome to the forum...

I actually just sold my MS441 w/ a full wrap handle (not heated, however). I'd study the IPL (search google for "Stihl 441 IPL" if you don't have the parts list already for your saw), as there are a couple of additional parts involved beyond just the handle itself. I'll attach a screen shot from the parts diagram.

Just my 2 cents, but I personally found the full wrap handle on my 441 to be a big hassle. It added a tiny bit of weight and also some bulk. Yes, it was nice occasionally when you wanted to hold the saw sideways or at some strange angle. However, in my experience, it was just as easy to come in at another angle usually, not not need the full wrap handle. I recently upgraded to a 661 magnum (normal handle) and don't miss the full wrap stuff at all.

If you need to see how the handle is setup, I left a video of it up on Youtube from when I sold it here:

Ray

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 6.05.42 PM.png

Thats some fair advice you got there Ray, but I have a 661 with normal handle, so I figured I'd try the full wrap on the inbetween saw. We have a 461 Rescue at work, and it has the full wrap, wich I'll guess is the same as the 441. I'll atleast give it a go.

Nice Saw!!

Thats some fair advice you got there Ray, but I have a 661 with normal handle, so I figured I'd try the full wrap on the inbetween saw. We have a 461 Rescue at work, and it has the full wrap, wich I'll guess is the same as the 441. I'll atleast give it a go.

Nice Saw!!

Thanks! I have the 661 w/ the normal handle as well; great saw! The full wrap is ok if you have a need for it. I never really did too much myself.

I'm guessing you could install it with just a couple additional parts.

Ray

Thanks for the input guys, and the IPL for the 441. Now knowing its doable, anyone know of a parts supplier who might carry these parts online? Or do you need to go via a Stihl dealership?

So, I contacted my local dealer and asked him if he could get me the parts I need for the conversion, but he said that he was unable to order the parts.
Is there anyone who knows their way around the old interwebs or have access to a dealer, and would help me?

Torgeir

Hey Torgeir,
i can ask my Dealer here in Germany if i can get the full wrap.
If i can get this, i can send it to u

Hi again,

Still no luck for me sourcing the parts needed to convert my 441 to full wrap, mainly because the scandinavian dealers dont have access to these parts. If any US based samaritans could help me I would be gratefull.
I have the heated handle version, and would like to have heated full wrap if possible. If I understand correctly there is two different sprocket covers, one for what you guys in US designates as the "Arctic" version.

Torgeir

Hi again,

Still no luck for me sourcing the parts needed to convert my 441 to full wrap, mainly because the scandinavian dealers dont have access to these parts. If any US based samaritans could help me I would be gratefull.
I have the heated handle version, and would like to have heated full wrap if possible. If I understand correctly there is two different sprocket covers, one for what you guys in US designates as the "Arctic" version.

Torgeir

Maybe you already know this, but even just the OEM wrap handle is expensive as heck from Stihl. They probably figure a heated wrap is worth it's weight in gold. Another issue is that heated saws aren't available in the US. Don't ask me why. I have two of them and I love them. My dealer doesn't know either. They'll tell you to put on thicker gloves and look at you like you're nuts for wanting heated handles (if they ever tried one they'd understand). So, I'd suggest trying someone in Canada. Perhaps my friend @GCJenks204 can be of some assistance.

Hi again,
I have the heated handle version, and would like to have heated full wrap if possible. If I understand correctly there is two different sprocket covers, one for what you guys in US designates as the "Arctic" version.Torgeir

The wrap around handle bar (heated version) is part no. 1138 790 3603 used on MS 441 RVWZ and MS 441 C-M RVWZ. The sprocket cover for these chainsaw versions is 1138 648 0400. The wrap around handle bar is not availible here in Germany because we don`t have any wrap around handles.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have to turn to US for the handle. In retrospect I probably ordered the powerhead from USA, but thats to late now.
If anyone nows of a US based dealer that might be able to help me with the parts please shout out. Or maybe some online parts dealr.

Torgeir

Hi Torgeir

Found this warehouse in the US. Maybe they ship to Norway, too. They accept Paypal, Visa and Mastercard. Just ask them. Maybe you can also contact some of the dealers here or on the other (AboristSite) side. I know Definitive Dave here and on the other (AboristSite) side is a good dealer. Contact him and ask, just a thought.

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/stihl-wrap-around-handlebar-1138-790-3603.html

Latest posts

Back