MS-460 Cylinder Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is this the "D" combustion chamber cylinder I hear of? If not, can someone post a photo of the combustion chamber of a "D" cylinder? Because this one kinda looked like the letter D to me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0521151657.jpg
    0521151657.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the quick reply Brad. It came off a straight gassed MS-460. I was under the impression that the D port cylinders were only on 046s? Perhaps this was an early 460. Anyhow, it seems to have cleaned up really well, but i still see "score" marks, although theres nothing i could even remotely snag a fingernail on. Is there a way to clean it up better than this? Muriatic isn't removing anything at this point, but i know this cylinder is worth saving.

Couple more pics. One intake, one exhaust. Not the best lighting, but i think it conveys the condition. None of that scoring can be felt by hand, or snagged with a fingernail.

Attachments

• 0521151944a.jpg
    0521151944a.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 52
All those score marks should clean off, correct? Like i said, you cant snag a fingernail on any of it, but i want this cylinder flawless to keep as a spare for a 460 rebuild.

My web connection is crap right now guys, sorry :/

Maybe one of the pros here would like to finish the cylinder cleanup for me? Not trying to cop out, but i would hate to screw up this cylinder since it's NLA from Stihl. I'd prefer to try a cleanup on a scored... well, anything other than this D-chamber pretty much!

Alright. Its probably scotch brite time then, because all of the transfer is certainly gone. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Should i lube the cylinder with PB Blaster or something similar? Or just dry? Also... what grit?

If you feel the need to wet the abrasive pad all that is needed is soap and water, a basic dish soap like Ajax. Use it as you would if you were washing dishes.

Any suggestions as to a piston to pair with it? I figure you'll all say Meteor or OEM, and cost really isnt an issue here. I'd just like this to be set aside as a future rebuild kit with the best possible parts, so which would you choose? Just picking the brains of those who know far more than I. Thanks for being so patient with me, and entertaining my seemingly childish, rookie questions.

Latest posts

Back