MS-460 Cylinder Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, my thoughts exactly, although this cylinder was definitely removed from an MS-460, and not an 046.

I believe you, I just don't think it originally came on that saw.

I'm not sure if all D chambers had the better port timing of the 1st year saws, but they are definitely sought after for 046/460 & hybrid builds.

Brad, I totally agree with you and Jeremy that the 10 mm 044 and D chamber 046s are just "indicators" of saws with better factory port timing, and that port timing is what makes the difference.

However, I thought only the early 046s had the D chamber, but I could be wrong. My information is totally from what others have posted on this website.

Have you seen D chambers on 460s that appear to be factory original?

Any one else with information on this?

I personally have not, every 460 i've ever seen has had a round combustion chamber with the exception of this one. But, this may not be the original cylinder either, I've no way of knowing.

if i was you i'd get some better pics up. transfer is not hard to see. once you've done it few times you'll be a better judge. i have cleaned up many cylinders and had them show some dark gouges that won't go away and they don't affect anything. to keep going on them would mean you will destroy that cylinder cause you are trying to clean something that can't be cleaned. i've done the sandpaper/mandrel in a foredom method WAY before i joined here and have sanded a few jugs through. i got a 360 cylinder here i almost cried when i cleaned up. mostly cause i hadn't joined here yet and had no idea where and when i would find another for a reasonable price. be carefull with that cylinder as it is desirable.

I cleaned it up as clean as I think it's going to get using some muriatic acid, very light sanding with 150grit (by hand), and then finishing with a red scotchbrite pad. The photos can be seen in the thread "MS-460 Cylinder Cleanup", also posted here in the chainsaw forum. Let me know if you guys think it's still servicable. I certainly do. No scoring, some light burn marks left, but super smooth. A link to said thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms-460-cylinder-cleanup.280319/

Latest posts

Back