Ms-461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cent remind me never to come up where you live, apparently there is alot of BS in the air. We know Cent, its bugs you Stihl continues to prosper while the rest struggles, I feel your pain,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Thomas, your back! Good thing too. Them husky boys been running rickshaw all over your forum. I thought the earth had opened up and swallowed you whole. Whatever happened to “post up”??

Say, where is my new ms261 at?? Let me guess, it’s on the slow boat from China, literally. Hope it gets here sometime in the next decade along with my stihl battery powered stuff. What the status on the new ms201t I have heard nothing about? Will it have an inboard clutch and spring antivibe?? I sure hope stihl redesigns the flippy caps on it. Maybe they could make them just like a screw with threads and the like. That would be such a radical design, stihl could rule the industry. Just imagine the profit potential.

Thomas, your back! Good thing too. Them husky boys been running rickshaw all over your forum. I thought the earth had opened up and swallowed you whole. Whatever happened to “post up”??

Say, where is my new ms261 at?? Let me guess, it’s on the slow boat from China, literally. Hope it gets here sometime in the next decade along with my stihl battery powered stuff. What the status on the new ms201t I have heard nothing about? Will it have an inboard clutch and spring antivibe?? I sure hope stihl redesigns the flippy caps on it. Maybe they could make them just like a screw with threads and the like. That would be such a radical design, stihl could rule the industry. Just imagine the profit potential.

I've been taking it easy Cent. No need for me to post up, hell I know too much already,haha. Your battery powered hedgetrimmer has been on my rack for weeks, seem Stihl puts em out faster than you want to buy them. The 362has been doing very well, don't know what the hold up is with the 560 Husky counterpart, any idea? The 261 will be here in November, sure to be a huge seller, reports on it from overseas are very good. Germany did their own R&R and field testing on that saw which is why it was sold in Europe first before coming here. The 200T replacement was being feild tested over a year ago. They've yet to release anything on it while the 200T is still legal. Since it kills all other top handle saws combined in sales it will be one of the very last to be replaced. Like the 290, the 200T, 460 and 660 will be the very last ones replaced due to the good sales numbers they post. Lets see what else can I tell ya while you was dreaming. Oh, they've taken market share from everyone in every product group this year. They're having a great year, especailly here in the US. They have rebounded very strong and much better than anyone else in the biz from the 08/09 slump. Hell they even got ads running now that they are No.1 across the board in all small handheld power equipment. Your right and wrong Cent. Stihl could rule the industry ya say, well guess what, they already do. As for me I'm having a banner year in sales myself. Just won an all paid trip to someplace called Can Coon down in Meck E Co. Thats two I done won. Maybe if I win another I'll see if you can come along, one way ticket for you of course,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

There goes your answer right there, why invest the R&D to make .5hp more when the 441 is fine? That is like when they had the 440 and 460. Two saws very close in power but different models. I think the 440 was the better saw. I think the only reason the 460 is around is to give guys the choice of old school or new. We will probably see a redesigned 441 in the future....

STIHL rep told me that the design of the newer saws are largely driven by emissions regulations. In the US, the emissions stuff is averaged over all of the products they sell, so if they move enough of the high volume, lower emissions stuff, they can keep selling some of the lower volume, higher emissions saws, etc. In Europe, all of their saws must meet standards, so I assume that they will eventually re-design the 460 and the others.

I have never understood part of their marketing - why they sold saws like the 440/460, the 230/250, etc. which were essentially the same saws with different jugs and cylinders. Seems to me that it would cost the same to engineer each, but they sell them at different price points and make lots of money at it. They must be smarter than me in this area.

Philbert

STIHL rep told me that the design of the newer saws are largely driven by emissions regulations. In the US, the emissions stuff is averaged over all of the products they sell, so if they move enough of the high volume, lower emissions stuff, they can keep selling some of the lower volume, higher emissions saws, etc. In Europe, all of their saws must meet standards, so I assume that they will eventually re-design the 460 and the others.

I have never understood part of their marketing - why they sold saws like the 440/460, the 230/250, etc. which were essentially the same saws with different jugs and cylinders. Seems to me that it would cost the same to engineer each, but they sell them at different price points and make lots of money at it. They must be smarter than me in this area.

Philbert

Too bad Stihl didn't have enough volume to float the 440, it was just too good to let sink IMO.
The Husky/Jonsered duopoly apparenlty has the volume. The 372 is now enjoying it's 10th year of production.

I haven't seen much on the new 461. The guy that sold me my 441 said that an upgraded 460 (461) is coming out. In fact, he said that after the two 460s he had are gone, the 461 will replace them.

This may be good, but why upgrade a saw for only .5 horsepower. It somehow does make sense to me. Any ideas?

IMO, a half hp is alot. and the power to weight ratio of the 460 again IMO, is excellent. Personally, I would choose a 460 over a 441. but thats just me. I know the 460 is one of the best saws ever produced. truly tried and proven.
But yeah no big deal, i just think that upgrading to the 460 would be IMO a wise decision. the 460 is superb.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Too bad Stihl didn't have enough volume to float the 440, it was just too good to let sink IMO.
The Husky/Jonsered duopoly apparenlty has the volume. The 372 is now enjoying it's 10th year of production.

The 440 actually wasn't offered for sale here, probably because they (wrongly) regarded it as "just" a lesser version of the 460! :jawdrop:

...and the 372xp is older than 10 years. It started with the 371xp in 1995, and became the 372xp in 1999.

IMO, a half hp is alot. and the power to weight ratio of the 460 again IMO, is excellent. Personally, I would choose a 460 over a 441. but thats just me. I know the 460 is one of the best saws ever produced. truly tried and proven.
But yeah no big deal, i just think that upgrading to the 460 would be IMO a wise decision. the 460 is superb.:greenchainsaw:

Be careful with the use of the word "upgrading" in these EPA times......:givebeer:

What about the Big Bore Kit on the 441? That would/should make it closer to the possible, futuristic 461. Yes/no??

Sam

The 440 actually wasn't offered for sale here, probably because they (wrongly) regarded it as "just" a lesser version of the 460! :jawdrop:

...and the 372xp is older than 10 years. It started with the 371xp in 1995, and became the 372xp in 1999.

Not including the 044, what are the production years of the 440? I'm guessing maybe eight years.

Back