MS-660 goes SPLAT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my highly unfortunate friend splattered an MS-660 today on it's first tank of fuel by dropping a tree on top of it. The crankcase is totaled, handlebar bent to hell, and intake side of the piston skirt has a huge chunk out of it and the fuel tank exploded like a hand grenade. Think this machine is really worth rebuilding? Or better to part her out and call it a day?

Sorry for the bold txt above, i couldnt figure out how to turn it off. Also, i worry the crank may have some non-visible damage to it (loss of balance?) and could shake like a dog sh*tting a peach seed even after a rebuild. I do have a new crankcase here (both halves) but im still wondering if its worth it.

My first words were "don't worry bro, that'll buff out no problem"

I think you should look for one that got fried, and rebuild that one with the parts from this one..

Sounds like he needs a new saw. Probably keep what he has for parts. Should be screws and maybe a decal or two still salvageable. I've seen crushed saws and often times people want to fix them to make the "screw up" seem less significant but it sounds like this one was "totaled". Saws are just a tool, he can be thankful there were no body parts involved. I'm sure plenty of people on this forum have seen a tree coming down with the saw stuck in the cut. Crap happens. Pick up the pieces and move on with life...

If the cases are dead and a chunk out of the piston, the crank/rod is probably tweaked. The press fit may be tweaked due to the stresses at each side/end of the crank when the cases went crunch.

Save the pull rope and bar nutz, trash the rest.

Saw a few words over the body then shoot the tree.

Carb is probably good, clutch, perhaps the jug, muffler... and as fearofpavement says, the nuts and bolts.. they're easy to lose and hard to find.. I'd just find a big banana box an toss it all in there, put it on a shelf in some old barn.

Sorry man i know thats no fun. Go buy a new one maybe you can find some one with one on the shelf still cut you a deal?

I just hate seeig a brand new, expensive machine being destroyed like that, and having box-o-totaled-660 sitting in my closet is pretty bummer. Also, im not trying to be rude, but anyone who's thinking of offering $100 for ALL the parts, new crankcase halves and all, please don't. It's quite insulting. I posted them in hopes of getting some other member's saws up and running again. Not so people would see it as an opportunity to take someone to the cleaners. Thanks for your understanding.

Horrible story.

I don't get your last post though. So if someone needs the parts to fix their saw you'll sell to them, but if they want to make you an offer on the whole parts lot to try to make a usable saw you won't sell it to them?

So my highly unfortunate friend splattered an MS-660 today on it's first tank of fuel by dropping a tree on top of it. The crankcase is totaled, handlebar bent to hell, and intake side of the piston skirt has a huge chunk out of it and the fuel tank exploded like a hand grenade. Think this machine is really worth rebuilding? Or better to part her out and call it a day?
That's very unfortunate, but very fortunate that is was the saw & not him, what was the story behind it? was he trying to do some fancy cut?
Thansk

Bet thats the last time he does that maybe he needs full coverage insurance from farmers or aflac for the saws he stihl has

Sorry to hear about this......should have ordered the K package (kite) on this 660.....at first sign of danger the saw will take flight.....and land safely out of harms way......never to be crushed. Its available on some husky saws also.....

Might be worth looking into for the next saw......

Latest posts

Back