Ms250 or ms211 as a trim saw, you decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
I will be picking up a new trim saw this fall. I gave ms250 to a fella that was having a rough go of it, and needed a saw to cut wood to heat his home. I can buy a new 250 or a 211 for 235.00. The saw will be wearing 14" bar with full chisel picco chain. Weight on the saws is real close,the 250 has more power for sure. Which saw would you go with, and why? Or are there better options out there for less than 300.00? All positive input is appreciated.

I will be picking up a new trim saw this fall. . . .I can buy a new 250 or a 211 for 235.00. The saw will be wearing 14" bar with full chisel picco chain. Weight on the saws is real close,the 250 has more power for sure. Which saw would you go with, and why? Or are there better options out there for less than 300.00? All positive input is appreciated.

The 250 has more power at almost the same price, but the 211 feels lighter and nimbler in your hands. The 211 also has the lower vibe and better filtration technology. If you already have larger saws, the extra power is not needed for this saw, so you can choose the lighter one. Or you could wait for the 251 to be released in the US:

MS 251 - Starke, kompakte 2,2kW-Benzinmotorsäge

Philbert

I would grab the MS250 if it were me. No foul against the 211, they just feel a little cheaper built to me (not to say they are). They seem like a fine saw, but for the same money it would be the MS250.
I picked up a sssssuper clean MS210 a couple months ago, for carving and light work around the house. I doubt it will ever touch firewood, but seems like a well built and well engineered saw for what it is. I grabbed a 12" Carlton bar and Picco chisel for mine.

Hopefully it pays off. I plan to have 30 or so carvings (mostly school themed stuff) done by November for a craft show. My wife is selling some stuff, and I thought I may as well make a couple extra bucks for Christmas since she has the space.

250 all the way. Not much heavier than the 211 but a lot more grunt.
The AV issue is a non issue really. Wear gloves. It ain't like you're gonna be making 10Min. long bucking cuts with it.

The 211 is a nice little saw, just not as flexible.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I love my MS211,it's been an awesome little saw.I use it for brushing trails mostly and carry it with me on the ATV.

I'll not comment so much on the saw model(s), but rather the chain ....

A buddy has a MS180 with that little Picco chain .... that chain cuts QUICK!

I have used it on more than a few occasions, from limbing to light firewood cutting and I am really impressed with the performance.

The ONLY downside I see is that it seems to dull a bit quicker .....

The 211 is $280 and the 250 is $300 around here, I thought Stihl dealers all kept to close to the same pricing, if you can get either for $235, sounds like a good deal for you. :msp_thumbup:

I have both of those saws, and in this case I would pick the 211 easily. The 211 feels considerably lighter and better handling than the 250. With a 14" bar and picco chain, it will have plenty of power as well. If you were going to run a bigger bar, the power of the 250 might be an advantage. The 211 gives you better anti-vibe, better fuel consumption, and an adjustable carb. It's a fun saw to grab for small quick jobs.

I`ll throw in a vote for the 250. Mine wears an 18" Oregon micro-lite pro bar with 95vpx chain and the little dude rips! Just keep it to what this saw is intended for, trimming and bucking firewood. :clap:

Back