MS271 detail parts list needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looking for a detailed parts list for a MS271 that shows the screws that hold the plastics to the saw and a SERVICE manual?

Parts list: So as I won't have to carry the saw to a dealer just to obtain or order small parts such as screws.
Some of the screws are metric, and some are the aggressive plastic type threads and others are????

Thanks for the IPL link.

My computer just now got thru upgrading to Windows 10 and I'm wrestling with saving the pdf
and looking for the screws that Bubba lost.

Don't know why Redneck Bubba left out some of the screws, the saw looks almost new and runs and cuts great.

I see some screws on flea bay but had no idea what type (machine metric or self threading) came out of some of the empty holes that hold the area around the throttle, handle to the lower case.

Yep also know about them inflated prices at the dealers. I had rather be tied up and whipped with a wet rope than go to the Dealer. Sure have to watch your backside at those places and not get caught bent over with them retailers behind you.;)

What are the part numbers of the screws you need? It looks like the ms171 shares some of the same screws.

I got side tracked on another project. I'll have to look at the saw again then review the IPL for part numbers. Some of the empty screw holes are not easily ID'ed on the IPL I'll be back later with some part numbers. I have to be careful and not run a wrong size screw into a empty hole and ruin the plastic or machine screw threads.

I'm still wrestling with the new Windows 10 also from a yesterday download.

Here is a picture of the 4 screws that I need.
the two side covers screws are on pg 13, item 11 as 9074 477 4135 pan head self tapping t27 torx head.

The other two smaller screws I did not find on the IPL. They appear they are the self tapping type also.
I removed a Item #9 pg 21 from the lower right corner of the air guide shroud with a T20 torx and it fit the upper 3/4 inch deep hole ok. It I think the screw I tested in the upper hole is 9074 477 2995 pan head self tapping maybe.
The screw I tested in the upper small hole is too short to secure the thru hole closest by the gas filler cap.

Kinda strange these two screws are not shown on the IPL (maybe I'm just not seeing them????

Attachments

• DSC00908.JPG
    DSC00908.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 13
I have a few of the 9074 477 4135s

In your post above the lower screw just above the gas filler cap is not the #22 screw. If you look at the gas filler cap area in the picture the missing screw holds what looks like a little plastic piece onto the top of the gas tank and it appears that the tank vent is in this piece. You can see a line in the plastic above the filler cap of the separate plastic piece. Appears that top plastic piece would slide out and separate from the main tank after the screw is removed.
I cannot even find the screws or these parts and pieces on this IP??????

I know of a place that I drive by about every 3 months that might have something? I can live without the two recoil cover screws for now but I need the other 2 before the saw is put to heavy use or stuff is going to fly off or get broke due to vibration.

I'll get back to you later if I still need couple the 4135.

I'll be at a dealer in the morning. I'll see if he has a 271 in stock so I can see it up close.

I think the small top self tapping screw that I removed and I tried for a fit in the top hole was 1/2 inch long, the top screw hole was 3/4 inch deep. The 1/2 inch long screw that fit into the top hole would was not long enough to get a bite in the bottom thru hole by the gas cap. (the two screws appear to be slightly different length or maybe or could be same if length 3/4 inch long.
Appeared length not critical on the bottom screw because the screw hole went all the way thru the backside plastic piece.

The air breather shroud (top plastic cover) has to be removed with a T27 torx to see the small top screw at the very top above the gas cap.

Hopefully you might have all 4 screws if the dealer will let you investigate a saw or maybe they might have some SERVICE diagrams showing such that we are not allowed to access. I really don't want to just pull a Bubba and run sheet metal screws into the two smaller holes and mess up the plastic internally, etc, on a saw that looks new.

I might not be back on here until approx. next Thursday.

Thanks and Later

Look on the av mount page, that is what those screws are for. look at ref # 9, 10, 11 for your part numbers.
I don't have those.

Why sure #10 and #11 and the two side cover screws is what I need.

I do not need the #9 spring.

I called the Stihl man (who I now call Bubba) and gave him the part numbers and he was just placing a order with Stihl and the screws are like 70 cents each and on order.
He kinda sounded like a Bubba and said that he just uses sheet metal screws if he don't have the correct ones for the plastic.
I'll remember that and not ever leave any of my saws with him to molest.
The screws were like 70 cents each.

Thanks for all.

Glad to hear it. I was looking for an excuse to send you a copy of the mediacat, I still haven't figured out how to unzip that e-mail version

Don't feel bad. I'm still struggling with the new windows 10 that was forced on me. Seems to run fast, just different. Took me about 15 min to find the picture on my computer that I sent from camera for uploading to this site. Does not have a my computer in the start menu. Now I forgot how I found the picture and Cortina sucks big air for any help.
Seen where a person sued Microsoft and won $10,000 because the 10 was forced on them and their business computer crashed when 10 downloaded, Microsoft could not correct the situation and the business lost customers and sued for reimbursement.

When you mentioned sending mediacat I was thinking something medical for my eyesight, like maybe a magnifying glasses so as I could see the IPL better when I could not find the parts listed.

Did not know until I searched that it's a STIHL thing.

Thanks

You would love the Mediacat disc. It gives you all of the ipls, and the mechanic's manuals for the newer models. The disc that we have been sharing is up to 2012.

Latest posts

Back