ms271 vs ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just hope they have managed to make a decent power band on their non-pro models this time..........

Much better than the original homeowners and the 211 smokes the 210 and the 271 does the same to the 270. Those are the only ones I have any run time on outside of the 391 which was decent but not for the $. Personally the only non pro saws I use are the smaller ones for ground use simply because if one gets pancaked i'm not out much.

Congrats on your new saw. I'm not a stihl fan but I believe they make a quality product. I was super impressed with a ms260 that I saw run on straight gas for a couple of minutes before I realized my gorundmans mistake.

Thanks, saw runs great, no problems at all, just clean the filter and keep the chain sharp

Congrats on your new saw. I'm not a stihl fan but I believe they make a quality product. I was super impressed with a ms260 that I saw run on straight gas for a couple of minutes before I realized my gorundmans mistake.

A couple of minutes!!!!!! That alone should have converted ya!

If your not using it everyday or cutting firewood for profit save your money. I've used pro saws for pro use and gotten more than you should out of homeowner models under professional use as well. As far as rebuilding the saw unless you straight gas it or it's just plain old worn out at which point it's probably not worth rebuilding that point is useless as well. The new Stihl engines rev much higher than the old homeowners so performance wise your gonna be surprised. Just make sure if you go 291 don't get the 290, most underpowered turd I ever had the displeasure of using.
NOT SURE WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YOURS, MY 290 IS A MEAN MACHINE, BEEN USING IT ABOUT 10 YRS NOW. ONLY RECENTLY PORTED MUFFLER. WITH THE RIGHT CHAIN/BAR COMBO THE 290 IS EXCELLENT FOR A SAW IN THE 57CC CLASS.

NOT SURE WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YOURS, MY 290 IS A MEAN MACHINE, BEEN USING IT ABOUT 10 YRS NOW. ONLY RECENTLY PORTED MUFFLER. WITH THE RIGHT CHAIN/BAR COMBO THE 290 IS EXCELLENT FOR A SAW IN THE 57CC CLASS.

Have you ever run a good 50cc saw or even some 40cc saws cut almost as fast as a 290. Steve

Have you ever run a good 50cc saw or even some 40cc saws cut almost as fast as a 290. Steve
No.. The MS250 I have is a 45cc, you have to rev the heck out of it, just to keep the clutch engaged. weak homeowner job...my 290 I don't have to rev very hard at all and just piddle around and cut wood easily. Do you have a model to suggest I try? I would love to lug a lighter saw around.

If you tune that 250 and open up the muff it will cut real close to any doggy 290 which weighs 3# more. A 025 or 250 is Stihls best saw in that class. Steve
I plan on comparing it to 2 other MS250 saws my dad and brother have. I'll see if they all feel the same, but I agree about the muffler but it doesn't look as easy to do as the 290, I'll look at it again. But you can't make up for the 12 cc difference with the 290, maybe I got a good one, it has been nothing but great.

Latest posts

Back