MS280 hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any secrets to this? It is a couple years and does not have the decompression valve. I have a echo saw I bought at home depot and it has not had a problem starting in 6 years. I have all kinds of power tools and dont have a problem with any others. The stihl is a bear to start! Thanks for any tips you may have

Send it to me I'll dispose of it for you. :)

When was the last time you ran it? Does it eventually start and stay idle?

Make sure the choke is closing all the way first, if it is try opening the low speed adjuster a quarter turn or so, you might have to turn the idle speed up a bit after that. Most saws without a primer will take 6 to 9 pulls after sitting for a while but if used the day before they should start in 3 pulls or so. Steve

With my 026 I first choke it and pull it over s-l-o-w
oh maybe 5-7 times.

THEN give it a normal sharp pull and it should pop.
Move the selector to run and a second sharp pull should get 'er going.

It beats wearing out your arm while the impulse is drawing fuel to the carb.
Of course your saw is different but give it a try.
-br

It may take 5-6 pulls to get it to pop on full choke if it has been sitting that long.

Or, you may just need a carb adjustment.

Pull the filter out from inside the tank to check if it looks dirty or clogged. Clean it with carb cleaner or replace it if it looks bad. Then I would check fuel line for cracks if carb adjustment doesn't work.

I don't know if you let the fuel sit in the carb long periods of time but could also be carb rebuild if you do leave fuel in. I usually drain the tank and start saw until it runs out of fuel.

What fuel oil ratio do you use? Is your mixed fuel fresh?

Use premium fuel(92octane or higher) for best results. If fuel station uses the same hose for all grades of fuel I usually pump 2-3 gallons into car first then I fill a five gallon container to make sure I get 100% premium into my container.

As mentioned clean or replace the fuel filter. If the saw sits for awhile you might need to clean the carb and/or put a new carb kit in it. Also take a peek at the air filter, make sure it's clean and not full of saw dust.

nick21: Here is the basic instructions on starting Stihl saws.
Place on full choke. Pull on starter rope until engine coughs once. Move Choke to half choke. Pull Starter Rope and unit should start. Pull trigger to release throttle lock. If that doesn't work then adjustments are needed.

Back