MS360 new top end + port and MM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My MS360 Pro ejected it's wrist pin clip so Thieroff is sending me a jug and new piston assembly. Taking jug to my engine builder for a port job and I'll do the MM. Been running an 18" bar with regular safety chain, planning to switch to 20" with full chisel. Pretty excited to get it going and setup! I only got to run it 3 afternoons before it grenaded lol it's still new to me. Any suggestions on changing the sprocket for this setup? Ahh other suggestions? I know it's a thread about a dead horse but this is the biggest saw I've ever really used and was already really pleased with it. It's winter time work is slow we're all bored and I'm new here cut me some slack haha yes I've searched and read dozens of threads on it, some of which were helpful others a lot of talk still others pics wouldn't load etc. Only could find one or two YouTube vids of this exact setup.
Any other upgrades I should consider? Carb upgrade? I know stock one re-tuned should be fine. Air filter upgrade since I need a new one anyway?

I'm just anxiously awaiting parts now.....
Thanks
Eric

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
04 Ram 3500 Cummins QCLB flatbed 4wd
Custom built 4wd Lawn Boy garden tractor with a slew of attachments
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Sweet. Stupid tech question, in trying to take it apart (my first saw teardown, go easy) I thought there was a need to remove the coil. Other than setting air gap to flywheel, is there slop in the mounting that could affect timing? I'm not in the shop to go look and it just occurred to me that not only did I not need to do that but I shouldn't have done that. Either way it's too late now lol it was late when I took it apart and wasn't thinking the most clearly.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

No you'll be ok.just need a Business card to reset it.Put coil on loose with magnets on the opposite side of flywheel.put business card between coil and flywheel turn flywheel until magnets attract the coil.tighten down and the air gap is set.

...Taking jug to my engine builder for a port job and I'll do the MM...

Eeeerrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkk (tire's skidding on asphalt)- I see lot's of supposed "builders" that don't do much to enhance the saw's performance. I know there are some out there that some that are as good as any we have here, but typically their names are known to members here (mostly PNW area). They widen the intake and exhaust and call it a port job, and some of there work looks to have been done by a third grader in an Asian country. I would find one of the several builders here that enjoy a strong reputation for turning out top performing saws and know that the money spent on porting actually produces an increase in power.

Eeeerrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkk (tire's skidding on asphalt)- I see lot's of supposed "builders" that don't do much to enhance the saw's performance. I know there are some out there that some that are as good as any we have here, but typically their names are known to members here (mostly PNW area). They widen the intake and exhaust and call it a port job, and some of there work looks to have been done by a third grader in an Asian country. I would find one of the several builders here that enjoy a strong reputation for turning out top performing saws and know that the money spent on porting actually produces an increase in power.

+++1 for me here as well!

I have feeler gauges if there's a spec on the gap. I work on a variety of things just haven't messed with 2 stroke much.

My engine builder has done port and polish on v8 heads for me before and did really good work. He also does all my machine work needs. I told him I only want them widened and clean up transfers, I don't want to mess with timing. He's done a bunch of saws but I haven't seen before and after results on them. I'm not looking to make a hot saw just a little more for a work saw.

Jughead hell no lol

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Central Boiler CL5036 heating my house, water and 30x40 shop

I have feeler gauges if there's a spec on the gap. I work on a variety of things just haven't messed with 2 stroke much.

My engine builder has done port and polish on v8 heads for me before and did really good work. He also does all my machine work needs. I told him I only want them widened and clean up transfers, I don't want to mess with timing. He's done a bunch of saws but I haven't seen before and after results on them. I'm not looking to make a hot saw just a little more for a work saw.

Jughead hell no lol

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

A 2 stroke is nothing like a 4 stroke. In fact in chainsaws you'd be lucky to see any difference between polished and not polished. Polished aluminum holds heat longer than a not polished surface. In my eyes isn't a good thing for a work saw.

I was noting that I've been happy with previous port job I've had him do, just haven't had him do a saw. The guy is brilliant with engines and does fantastic work. He has a head flow bench, crank grinder, mill, lathe, cylinder hone machine, etc. He's not a shadetree guy with engines but I understand he's not necessarily king of chainsaw hot rod jobs. Widening a port should be well within his realm of capability. He said all the saws he's done the owners were very pleased with what he did.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Will this thing pull a 22" full chisel chain pretty decent? Thinking if I already have 18" bar a 20" isn't much bigger really.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Yep, sorry to say it, and I'm not bashing you, but you are likely wasting your money and maybe even making your saw run worse.
You really think so? Don't get me wrong I value you guys' opinions and experiences, but there's a heckuva lotta people on here porting their saws and bragging it up, for me to think it is a waste of time or make it worse. I'm not refuting what you're saying, just trying to understand why you say that. "It's a learning question" (don't take it the wrong way) as an old timer I know says...

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Well, what else would he say? His customers probably don't know the capability of a properly ported saw.

Not bashing you, man. Just trying to make give you a little insight.
You're probably very right. My guy is a friend of mine and either gives me huge discount or free on small things because of all the work I send him. He's not going to make much off of me money wise just another job well done. However you maybe right, not many people around here I know of with modified saws.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

So there's not really any good reasons why I shouldn't have it ported by someone who does know what they're doing?

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Thanks for the reply. I just placed order with Baileys for base gasket, and air filter but i am gonna wait on buying a new bar and chain until after I get it going and broke in to feel it out then. A buddy has a 20" full chisel bar and chain on his 036 perhaps he'd let me borrow to see how I like it on my saw. I use mine for firewood and the 18" is big enough for most work except large trunks and some the 18" is barely enough to get through cutting from both sides, yet I don't want to make the saw too big to be comfortable. It already is as big or bigger than most of my friends' firewood saws.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Sweet. Stupid tech question, in trying to take it apart (my first saw teardown, go easy) I thought there was a need to remove the coil. Other than setting air gap to flywheel, is there slop in the mounting that could affect timing? I'm not in the shop to go look and it just occurred to me that not only did I not need to do that but I shouldn't have done that. Either way it's too late now lol it was late when I took it apart and wasn't thinking the most clearly.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

You can clean all the junk out of the case better with the flywheel and coil off. I'd plan on new crank seals while it's apart.

You can clean all the junk out of the case better with the flywheel and coil off. I'd plan on new crank seals while it's apart.
Yea, that is true on the cleaning. I'm a clean freak when I'm working on stuff, nothing goes back together dirty.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Latest posts

Back