MS361 or MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange fever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guys, Stihl is the only brand here with enough dealer support for me to trust. I cut almost strictly white oak with a little hickory and some hedge for posts. 20" bar is all I ever need. I know MS361 has a stellar reputation and the few I have seen run perfectly. I am not so sure about the MS440. I have seen a few in video links from here and they all seemed to not run as well as the 361. Your honest opinions from experience would be very helpfull in my decision. I am leaning toward the MS440 just based on the old "more is better", but if the added weight is not needed and the 361 is enough for a 20" bar then that would be fine. I don't like an underpowered saw and typically on 18" or so logs I get the cut started, put the dogs in and cut as fast as the saw can handle.

The 440 is on the way to becoming not available and is being replaced by the 441. The 361 and 441 are two different class of saws so you really can't compare the two. There are also about 7 million post about each one on the site as to how good each one of them are with the exception of one guy that flooded his new one and the die-hard husky fans who could care less about Stihl. For 18"-20" logs the 361 will be all you need. Anything larger move up to the 441. nuff said, and be careful

361 is great...

I have a 361-044-7900

The 361 is a great saw but if you are primarily cutting hardwood that is 20+ inches then you need the 440-(no longer made) you need the 441.

You can pick up a used 440 but look really hard at it because of the popularity of the saw many have seen very hard service.

It seems like most folks are not in love with the 441-and are making the jump to a 460. from the 361

If weight is not an issue for you-then the 460 with a 20 and 24 would be my call.

I purchased my 361 first and used it about a year before I felt like i needed more, enter the 7900-at this point my 7900 is the go to and 361 plays second fiddle.

I was trying to decide between the 460 and the 7900. the 460 is a very strong saw that seems to be in the sweet spot of power and weight-if stihl is the only option on a one saw team (for now) then pull the trigger on a 460 and pass the 441 over.

Kevin

20" bar in hard hardwood is definately 70cc+ territory...:greenchainsaw:

I love the MS361, but I would never use it for that, except in a pinch.

When faced with a similar decision, I went with the 440 to get a wrap saw that would pull 25" bars smartly in the softwood out here.

The 361 runs nice but isn't really a choice in this case for regular cutting of hardwood that size.

So, get a 440 if you can find one. Get a 441 if you can't. It will be like having a 361 that can pull that bar in hardwood!

I had my 361 with a 20" bar buried in a 26 inch hickory this past weekend. The saw did OK but that tree was all the 361 wanted. It would have been nice to have had more power.

For hardwood in the 18 inch range, cutting firewood for personal use, the 361 is all you need, IMO. If I cut larger trees on a more consistent basis, I'd need a bigger saw.

I'll post some pics of the big hickory when I have some time....

An MS440, with an 18" or 20" bar and the factor Dual Port muffler cover, will make a great firewood saw. The thing that I think our logger friends may overlook sometimes is the fact that you're going to be making the same cut through the same log every 18" or so. Cut after cut after cut. For my dollar and my time, I'd sooner have a larger saw that gets that cut done faster so you can move on down the log to the next cut.

Can the 361 do it? Of course it can. Heck, a 260 can do it. Even a hacksaw could do it, if you had enough time.

I don't have much more time on a 044 than I do on a stock 361, which is to say that I don't have much on either. But the 044 I rebuilt last winter was a damned fine firewood saw for breaking down a pile of 12-18" ash and oak logs that I tested it out on post-rebuild, and if this is the sort of use you anticipate then I would definitely aim for the 440.

I own both the 361 and 440. I still reach for the 361 more then the 440.

For you needs, either 361 or 441 would be great. Will the 441 cut faster? sure.. but in wood less than 15 inches there's little no difference unless you start messing with sprocket sizes etc. Buy what you want - there is a $$ equation to be considered.

Hi Neighbor, I am in the Mt. Vernon area. I have a 361 and a 441 and love them both. I would think that a person, myself included, could get by with just a 361 if they had to. Having said that the 441 is super smooth and runs like a souped up 361. All of a sudden it seems that people don't like the 441 and want the 440, quite a shift in the last couple of months. I don't know what to think of it. I am a new technology type person and I love the sound and smoothness of the 441. I have run 440's at work and they are great but for me the 441 is better.

Both 361 and 044/441 will cut what you want. 361 a little slower than the other two. Keep in mind how much you will cut. Like computeruser says..cut after cut.

Good luck with your choise!

I cut about the same stuff you cut, I have an 036 which is modded and tweaked for maximum power. However it still sits most of the time because my 70cc saws are so much faster and have so much more torque. If you get a 361 you will always want more. Get a 440 (and their are still some around new)or 460 and you will always be happy. Also note that I have found the bigger saws cut firewood so much faster that I am less tired when finished because I did not have to hold the saw as long. A pound or two is nothing if it cuts your cutting time by 10 to 20 percent.

after today...

I spent the day in the woods with a 25" white oak and the 361-7900 combo.

I don't think you are going to be happy with the 361. It was good enough and will continue to be ---but that oak put a hurt on the it. My 361 is modded and running a 20" bar full comp square at 14k rpm.

I would stand by my initial assesment the the 441 does not have the guts either. If costs are not an issue pull the trigger on the 460.

i am making that assesment by comparing spec of the 7900 to the 460.

today's effort was not a breeze but certainly made easier by having the 7900 with less saw, productivity would suffered and frustration would have been on the rise.
my 7900 has 24" bar with full comp square.
K

I have both the 361 and the 441, run a 20in bar on both. Cut mostly live oak and cedar.
I think that if you need a little extra power go with the 441 if not then the 361 will do what you ask of it.

Back