MS361 or MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had anything slow my 441 down either.

Not true for me. Hit a glass wire insulator. Slowed the saw down and took forever to hand file the chain back into shape!!. I took an extra chain but it was .058. (The dealer accidentally gave it to me when I first bought the saw. He will gladly exchange it, I just need to get there.)

I can't give the 441 the "pro" nod, but I can give it the Happy Homeowner-cut the occassional (okay a few hundred) tree nod!

My 361 is light and easy to handle, but just starts to lack power when cutting hard wood over 15". I have a 20" bar on for my comfort, but know that it would like a 16 or 18 better. It is straight factory and no mods. Yes it will cut the bigger wood, but it has to work.

Now my 440 with a DP muffler is a completely different story. No lack of power here. I am run regular chain on the 20" bar, and full skip on the 28".

no hate here

You guys are kidding me, Im no racer but I will gladly put my 660 up aginst your 441.

No bud u got us wrong, I have a 660 and with a 20" bar they(440/660) are dead even. The 660 wears a 32" and only comes out when needed, otherwise the 440 does most tha work. The 440 wears a 25" and loves it:cheers:

Not true for me. Hit a glass wire insulator. Slowed the saw down and took forever to hand file the chain back into shape!!. I took an extra chain but it was .058. (The dealer accidentally gave it to me when I first bought the saw. He will gladly exchange it, I just need to get there.)

I can't give the 441 the "pro" nod, but I can give it the Happy Homeowner-cut the occassional (okay a few hundred) tree nod!

whats that got to do with the saw????? i wasted my chain,, so the saw sucks???? i don't understand...

If you are primarily blocking larger oak & hickory sticks into firewood blocks, go for the 440 if you can still get your hands on a new one. The 361 is a dang fine saw and would get my nod for a medium wood all-round saw.

For a production firewood saw I'd bump it up to the 70cc, or larger 440/441/460, take your pick.

I think you missed the tongue firmly planted in his check............:monkey:

From what I've read Plummer is more than happy with his 441.

You read right, I guess some can read and well......................................

The guts for what? Mine pulls just as fast through 20" oak or hickory as my 660 does.

the cuts I was making today were not a breeze with my 7900-so my assesment of the 440 making for a long day still stands.

I own a 044- but do not use it much. my go to is always the 361 and 7900. I really feel that the 361 and 440 are close enough to be exchangeable and the right saw for 20+ hardwood is 70+cc ---460.

Owning one saw I say buy the biggest you can afford and are comfortable with physically --dimmensions and weight.

the 440 has guts---- but fewer than bigger saws---well because it is smaller.

I do not want to piss in your weaties, the 044 series is a tried and true great saw family.

I am sure that the orig poster will love what ever saw he gets and buy a bigger one next year. the thread will be 460 vs 650/660 do I need that much saw???

Kevin

I had assumed the 441 was the same generation as the 361 with more power, so an excellent performer.... But, after reading comments from pro users on a french aborist forum, I am starting to doubt its performance, as they are not impressed by it. :confused:

the cuts I was making today were not a breeze with my 7900-so my assesment of the 440 making for a long day still stands.

I own a 044- but do not use it much. my go to is always the 361 and 7900. I really feel that the 361 and 440 are close enough to be exchangeable and the right saw for 20+ hardwood is 70+cc ---460.

Owning one saw I say buy the biggest you can afford and are comfortable with physically --dimmensions and weight.

the 440 has guts---- but fewer than bigger saws---well because it is smaller.

I do not want to piss in your weaties, the 044 series is a tried and true great saw family.

I am sure that the orig poster will love what ever saw he gets and buy a bigger one next year. the thread will be 460 vs 650/660 do I need that much saw???

Kevin

I have no doubt that the 7900 is more powerful. I've only used the 7300 of that family....

I also am more than happy with my 441. It is to me a noticeable difference in cutting speed than the 044/440. I think the powerband is just a tad higher in the rev range allowing for more chain speed.

I am just less than impressed with the 361. A good friend uses one for his firewood business and he cuts up some BIG wood with it and it takes an eternity. In fact, with the bars(20") buried, dad's freshly tuned up 041 will cut tad faster than the 361. That is mainly because I was able to lower the rakers a bit with it.

I'd love to try a 7900, but I know my wife doesn't want me to. I have a feeling that if I did I'd be looking for a new home for the 441......:givebeer:

..... I am just less than impressed with the 361. A good friend uses one for his firewood business and he cuts up some BIG wood with it and it takes an eternity. ...

No saw is impressive when the application is totally wrong......:greenchainsaw:

I don't care how well it's made or performs, a 60cc class saw (regardless of color) is not the preferred animal for 20"+ hardwood blocking. Can you do it? Yes, but it will be and more importantly should be, slower than an appropriately sized 70cc+ saw....................

whats that got to do with the saw????? i wasted my chain,, so the saw sucks???? i don't understand...

Easy there. I believe the 441 is an excellent saw. Just wanted to let folks know I don't cut 3,000 plus board feet a day with it every day.

I think you missed the tongue firmly planted in his check............:monkey:

From what I've read Plummer is more than happy with his 441.

Yep.

I believe it was a joke....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep.

I run a lease program

I have no doubt that the 7900 is more powerful. I've only used the 7300 of that family....

I also am more than happy with my 441. It is to me a noticeable difference in cutting speed than the 044/440. I think the powerband is just a tad higher in the rev range allowing for more chain speed.

I am just less than impressed with the 361. A good friend uses one for his firewood business and he cuts up some BIG wood with it and it takes an eternity. In fact, with the bars(20") buried, dad's freshly tuned up 041 will cut tad faster than the 361. That is mainly because I was able to lower the rakers a bit with it.

I'd love to try a 7900, but I know my wife doesn't want me to. I have a feeling that if I did I'd be looking for a new home for the 441......:givebeer:

I can lend you the 7900 we could do a swap let me rattle your 441 for a while and you take the 7900. then swap back in a few weeks, what is shipping a saw cost $25?

see I just saved you hundreds of $$$ so can just borrow the saw without actually buying it.

k

I can lend you the 7900 we could do a swap let me rattle your 441 for a while and you take the 7900. then swap back in a few weeks, what is shipping a saw cost $25?

see I just saved you hundreds of $$$ so can just borrow the saw without actually buying it.

k

I'm outta bullets and somebody needs to rep this man!!!

That is a wonderful idea you got there. The only problem is that I likely won't want to give the saw back.:greenchainsaw:

I do plan to get myself a 7900 some time before they become extinct, just not right now with our house building right around the corner. Who knows though, I've already sold a decent bit of wood and it isn't even cold yet.

Back