MS362 carb'd converted to HD2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDoug

Pro Staff
Reaction score
In earlier posts I may have gotten the cart ahead of the horse when dealing out advice on putting the MS362-CM HD2 filter on a standard carb’d MS362. In the shop we had managed to move the parts from the CM to the carb with little issues, but we failed to completely review the process and committed one glaring oops. We forgot to see if the lid would fit on the saw. That carb’d 362 left the shop with its original parts intact and I was unable to finish this project properly until today.

I took the time to order the appropriate parts for the carb’d model from my distributor. All these parts were in stock even though Stihl does not offer a carb’d 362 with the HD2 to my knowledge. The parts you will need are as follows:

1140 141 0802 filter housing

1140 121 6901 baffle

1140 182 0901 switch shaft

1140 442 1601 contact spring

1140 185 1901 choke rod

1141 120 1604 HD2 filter

These parts should cost right at $60 msrp. You will also need the o-ring off the old filter housing and the left and right rubber bushings off the old filter housing.

As you will see in this thread these parts will fit on the carb’d MS362 with no issues. There is an issue with getting the lid on and I will cover that.

Disclaimer: This is not an official Stihl modification. I do not take responsibility for the accuracy of this post, nor do I take responsibility for any damage that make occur as a result of the modification I will be outlining in this thread. This thread is for informational purposes only.

To reassemble: Make sure the wires are routed into the proper channels.

Put the right side of the filter base in first, putting the rubber bushing over the post on the saw

Put the black wire on its post. This is the first fitment issue. The C-M saws use a smaller gauge wire. The notches in the operator lever are too small for the larger wires on this saw. The wire fits on the post and I allowed it to lay in place. It appears to not be an issue. Those with OCD will hate this.

Now comes the fun part. You can get the lid on, but it’s not optimal. Start with the back right screw, then the left rear screw, then the front left screw. It will go on, but it rubs pretty hard. I ended up heating the lid with a heat gun to get a better fit. This should be done with CAUTION as the difference between hot enough and blistering the plastic is about 1 second. I blistered this one a bit. You’re on your own on this one, I have warned you. For another $60 you could get a 362CM lid that will fit perfect, but you’ll need to drill H/L/ and LA screw holes. The 311/391 lid will fit too, but you’ll need to put in the proper twist locks for the 362.

I didn't run this saw before the switch. After the switch I needed to pull the limiter and richen up the mixture a bit. Not sure if the filter caused it, or it was that way when it came in.

Would one get more of a proper tune with the lid installed? Say you end up buying the 362 cm lid but would rather not have to drill the holes for carb adjustment...would this make tuning a problem?

Damn I totally missed this when it first came out.

I forget which carb is on the 362 but if you bought the new cm filter cover I wonder if the rubber piece off a 660 that has the carb adjustments built into it would work. You would have to cut out the square opening that the rubber piece fits into but would give the saw a factory look.

Great write up!!!

Doug, following up on an old post.....do you have any pics showing the cover in reformed state? The air filter is the one feature of my 362 I really don't like!

No, I don't. The saw has been in service constantly since I modified it. I simply heated the area where the filter hit and reformed it. Unfortunately it's really difficult to do that without bubbling and scorching the cover slighty.

Back