MS362 carb'd converted to HD2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In earlier posts I may have gotten the cart ahead of the horse when dealing out advice on putting the MS362-CM HD2 filter on a standard carb’d MS362. In the shop we had managed to move the parts from the CM to the carb with little issues, but we failed to completely review the process and committed one glaring oops. We forgot to see if the lid would fit on the saw. That carb’d 362 left the shop with its original parts intact and I was unable to finish this project properly until today.

I took the time to order the appropriate parts for the carb’d model from my distributor. All these parts were in stock even though Stihl does not offer a carb’d 362 with the HD2 to my knowledge. The parts you will need are as follows:

1140 141 0802 filter housing

1140 121 6901 baffle

1140 182 0901 switch shaft

1140 442 1601 contact spring

1140 185 1901 choke rod

1141 120 1604 HD2 filter

These parts should cost right at $60 msrp. You will also need the o-ring off the old filter housing and the left and right rubber bushings off the old filter housing.

As you will see in this thread these parts will fit on the carb’d MS362 with no issues. There is an issue with getting the lid on and I will cover that.

Disclaimer: This is not an official Stihl modification. I do not take responsibility for the accuracy of this post, nor do I take responsibility for any damage that make occur as a result of the modification I will be outlining in this thread. This thread is for informational purposes only.
I have make this modifications and No problem, also i put the cover of the mtronic again no problem, i think to change a little more and make it mtronic, and one question can you sale MDG1 ?

Buying the new M-tronic to cover puts the price just that much higher that folks don't really want to do it. As for converting it to M-Tronic, I am sure it is doable, but the amount of dollars to do it doesn't make sense. In the U.S., you would be in over $300 in parts at a minimum. I don't know if you can sell the MDG-1 or not. I honestly rarely use my computer setup. It isn't necessary to work on M-Tronic setups.

Very nicely done thread.
That means a lot coming from you Randy. Merry Christmas :chainsaw:

are there any choices with regards to the type of filter the hd2 setup will accept, oem and aftermarket?
Stihl has two filters that screw onto the HD2 base. One is a flocked filter that comes stock on the non-pro saws 251/271/291 and the pleated HD2 . I don't use aftermarket filters, so I have no clue on them.

That means a lot coming from you Randy. Merry Christmas :chainsaw:

Stihl has two filters that screw onto the HD2 base. One is a flocked filter that comes stock on the non-pro saws 251/271/291 and the pleated HD2 . I don't use aftermarket filters, so I have no clue on them.
The twist on filter that you converted the 362 to, is absolutely the best filter design for my 261.

I can't see why it wouldn't be ideal for a 362.

And what more could anyone ask for in a filter anyways? It's a close to perfect as I've put my hands on.

These filters are fantastic and should really help the longevity of these saws. My 661 has a similar, bigger set up, but lacks the nifty twist lock. The cover has the twist lock to hold it in place, but its just a bigger version of the same filter construction.

Thanks for detailed information everything was spot on and made it easy. I was one of those guys that was anal about it and wanted it to be like it came off the assembly line. This is what I ran into. The CM lid is a little narrower than the original, shaved about a 1/16 of an inch off and it fell right on. Next was during use with the CM lid the handle rubbed severely onto it the marks you see happened just putting into wood to tune. I had a wine bottle cork, cut in half and double side tape to the top off fuel tank. Not sure if this is the best answer, works for now and I will be keeping an eye on it. They created a stop due to the slack of the mounting spring ect. Thanks again for sharing. I will post some of my before and after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 74
In earlier posts I may have gotten the cart ahead of the horse when dealing out advice on putting the MS362-CM HD2 filter on a standard carb’d MS362. In the shop we had managed to move the parts from the CM to the carb with little issues, but we failed to completely review the process and committed one glaring oops. We forgot to see if the lid would fit on the saw. That carb’d 362 left the shop with its original parts intact and I was unable to finish this project properly until today.

I took the time to order the appropriate parts for the carb’d model from my distributor. All these parts were in stock even though Stihl does not offer a carb’d 362 with the HD2 to my knowledge. The parts you will need are as follows:

1140 141 0802 filter housing

1140 121 6901 baffle

1140 182 0901 switch shaft

1140 442 1601 contact spring

1140 185 1901 choke rod

1141 120 1604 HD2 filter

These parts should cost right at $60 msrp. You will also need the o-ring off the old filter housing and the left and right rubber bushings off the old filter housing.

As you will see in this thread these parts will fit on the carb’d MS362 with no issues. There is an issue with getting the lid on and I will cover that.

Disclaimer: This is not an official Stihl modification. I do not take responsibility for the accuracy of this post, nor do I take responsibility for any damage that make occur as a result of the modification I will be outlining in this thread. This thread is for informational purposes only.
Would installing the air guide shroud (1140-080-0902) help with the top cover off a ms362 cm fit more properly?

Would installing the air guide shroud (1140-080-0902) help with the top cover off a ms362 cm fit more properly?
Thanks for detailed information everything was spot on and made it easy. I was one of those guys that was anal about it and wanted it to be like it came off the assembly line. This is what I ran into. The CM lid is a little narrower than the original, shaved about a 1/16 of an inch off and it fell right on. Next was during use with the CM lid the handle rubbed severely onto it the marks you see happened just putting into wood to tune. I had a wine bottle cork, cut in half and double side tape to the top off fuel tank. Not sure if this is the best answer, works for now and I will be keeping an eye on it. They created a stop due to the slack of the mounting spring ect. Thanks again for sharing. I will post some of my before and after.

Before and after pics

Attachments

• 20180208_140204.jpg
    20180208_140204.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20180208_151242.jpg
    20180208_151242.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
It's an old thread, I know. But is there the chance, that you could upload the pictures for the instructions again please (they're not showing)? I'm fixing to do the mod to my MS362. Thanks

Back