MS440 First Impressions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go HuskyDave.

Which one of these is not like the others?

attachment.php

Thanks that is a good lineup. I still need to try a 441 but I know the 361 and 440 are great saws.

I like the square badge on the recoil side and the model badge on the shroud. The round model badge doesn't do it for me...

Well, in my rapidly growing "Stihl Lineup". Gosh, I honestly thought my next saw would be a 5100 but when I found a new on shelf 440, well...

That pic is missing my other 361 which is a twin to this one and my 026 Pro which are hanging out down at my folks place.

Of course I have a few left to add. I have an 460 coming off Fleabay later this week hopefully in good shape and a seized 026 that a logger here is giving me to get out of his yard.

I think I need professional help...

I picked that 440 up for $675 out the door with 25" B/C. They had it showing $729 and I just asked how much they would take off since it was a discountinued saw. Bless Montana for no sales tax.

The funny thing is I bought this one and when I went to pick it up they had another in its place. I guess they had a couple tucked away.

The saw gurus handed me one to take my saw test with, and then I had to get one. I ran a 361 but could not mind meld with it. I have been able to mind meld with the 440....scary! Have fun!:cheers:

The saw gurus handed me one to take my saw test with, and then I had to get one. I ran a 361 but could not mind meld with it. I have been able to mind meld with the 440....scary! Have fun!:cheers:

That is because the 044/MS440 is the Universal Saw...

For those that don't know, I have an addiction.

When PA Plummer announced that he liked his 440 better than his 441... and I happened to stumble across one locally on the shelf... Well the rest is history.

So I found myself with a new half wrap 440 this week. First impressions were, "Wow, this really is light and nimble especially compared to my 441." I really didn't notice the extra weight over my 361 which is about a pound. It is about a pound lighter than my 441. Both 361 and 441 are 3/4 wrap, dual dawg, deep cover models.

Well, I sort of got to run the 440 this weekend. A few chunks of hardwood up to about 24". Vib's aren't too bad, nice gutteral sound. Really nice cutting saw. It has noticably more power than the 361. It doesn't have the manors of the 361 or 441 but it is a lot of fun.

I don't think it is as torque'y or as smooth as my 441 but I didn't get a chance to run them head to head. It needs bigger and dual dawgs. I really missed the dual setup. Muff was right into the wood.

Overall impression: It is a great relatively light weight saw for someone who needs a bit more bite than the 361 delivers. I like the weight advantage over the 441 but think the 441 is a smoother faster saw. The 441 is really kind of a pig to haul around and that extra pound is noticable. 440 is a better "go to" saw the 441 a better "bucking" saw.

Now if they could make a 440 that is this light yet has the smoothness and speed of the 441, that would be a nice saw.

P.S. If someone has a 3/4 Wrap for a 440/460 they want to trade for a Half Wrap let me know.

Good write up,,, But sheesh!!!!!! Tha SawTroll is gonna have a field day with this!!!!!!! :cry: :dizzy: :monkey:

Hey slowp,,,,,,

Howd U do that Mind melding stuff????????? LOL!!!!

I love my 044/440s!!!!

Back