MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm saying that I don't think there's a stock 044 that will beat a 7900. Are you talking about a ported one or a stock one? If ported, well, I would hope so.

I will bet my friendship with Nik (and I know you are aware how important that is to me) that there has never been a grinder, file or any tool of porting of any kind put to this saw ever, and I wouldn't bet anything more expensive than lunch that my 7901 will outrun it.
All of those 10mm wristpin 044's run real well but this one is exceptional even for them.

Mike

I will bet my friendship with Nik (and I know you are aware how important that is to me) that there has never been a grinder, file or any tool of porting of any kind put to this saw ever, and I wouldn't bet anything more expensive than lunch that my 7901 will outrun it.
All of those 10mm wristpin 044's run real well but this one is exceptional even for them.

Mike

Gotcha. I just wasn't clear on what you were saying. I know how much you like the 7900, so that's quite an 044!

and I wouldn't bet anything more expensive than lunch that my 7901 will outrun it.

Mike

Maybe the 7901 you speak of was the worst one of the 10 saws that day ;) I'd be betting there is a stock 7900/7901 out there will beat this 044. I won't bet lunch though, I'm on a diet :D

Unfortunately I don't have a stock horse to race with.

Oh and I'm on the other side of the world :)

I know I wonder if it could be done another way like video in same size wood ?Pretty sure the wood is much different there so no good huh?Dyno may be the only way then there is the calibration thing.Guess we need some local contestants.

I know I wonder if it could be done another way like video in same size wood ?Pretty sure the wood is much different there so no good huh?Dyno may be the only way then there is the calibration thing.Guess we need some local contestants.

It's a difficult one to assess mate. For example at a recent forestry course I did one of the trainees had an old 044 there that well and truly outperformed the two 441's that the instructors had yet if you put the saws on a dyno I wouldn't be quite so sure.
It's been a long time since I used a stock 7900 but their excellent stock performance is still locked in my head. There are a lot of variables and as always with any test there will always be somebody complaining about chain sharpness or their piece of wood had a knot etc etc. You hear it all the time, that's just the way humans are.
A dyno would be the ultimate but even then power and torque curves are hard to compare to a real world situation. Like cars, a dyno tune is always backed up by a tune on the road. The figures are always fun to compare though :D
If I had heaps of money I'd get a saw dyno made for sure...

M-tronic must be pretty smart, but how does it know?

Hello guys, I've been lurking for a while and I've read everything I can regarding the MS441 RCM. I bought one last month, really love it, want to do the MM like I did on my 290 and even port it but don't want to lose my warranty. My question is how does the M-tronic "know" if the bar and chain is on or off the machine? What's the point of removing it for calibration? I have run @10 tanks of fuel through it and it seems to really be waking up...can I purchase another muffler and mod it so I could replace the original if some warranty issue arises?

Russ, I don't know the real answer, but I'd hazard a guess that having zero resistance on the crank combined with untouched fast idle makes for a "controlled" scenario for the computer to recognize and thus calibrate. I can tell you it made a noticeable difference in my ported saws demeanor. Throttle modulation is greatly improved and the saw is more controllable without giving up its power gains.

If your worried about warranty then another muff is a good idea,they do like a muff modd for sure. As said above with the calibration requirements zero resistance on the crank is what is required.
There is afew different ways to modd theses muffs but this is what i found to work well.

Can still put the screen back in this one
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the go for a ported one
attachment.php

Notice the heat difference the top saw is ported and muff modd from new,bottom saw stock everything.
attachment.php

Back