MS460 compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevybob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just recently bought a 460 runs great and piston and cylinder are spotless. My gauge reads 150 psi which seems low for this saw. Should I just run it? Or throw some new caber rings in as they are cheap.

That's what I was thinking. Insides are in perfect shape seems like the rings are just getting worn out is all. It's already pretty much stripped down so might as well pull the jug and throw new rings in.

From the exhaust port the piston actually looked really clean. Might just get a new one anyway.

Seems Stihl prices have gone down? I bought an OEM set of rings for an 066 last year for $80. I wasn't tok happy about that lol

Some have gone WAY down, pistons included. I bought a MS661 piston and rings for $45.

I know your one of the saw gurus around here and since I've got your attention I wanted to ask your opinion. I'm in the market for another "big" saw. I used to have a 395 and loved the endless power that thing had buried 3' in oak. This year I have gone all Stihl. I am considering buying an MS660 or another 395. I know the 660 isn't quite there with the 395 in power but have heard the 660 responds very well to porting. What's your experience with this? I am a climber I'm not into performance saws and going crazy with them I just need to cut wood. Should I just buy another 395 and call it a day or have a 660 ported? I've kinda had my heart set on a 660. Will I be disappointed in the 660s power after owning a 395?

I have a question... does anyone use elevation in the equation of compression. I think every gauge reads different.

I know your one of the saw gurus around here and since I've got your attention I wanted to ask your opinion. I'm in the market for another "big" saw. I used to have a 395 and loved the endless power that thing had buried 3' in oak. This year I have gone all Stihl. I am considering buying an MS660 or another 395. I know the 660 isn't quite there with the 395 in power but have heard the 660 responds very well to porting. What's your experience with this? I am a climber I'm not into performance saws and going crazy with them I just need to cut wood. Should I just buy another 395 and call it a day or have a 660 ported? I've kinda had my heart set on a 660. Will I be disappointed in the 660s power after owning a 395?
The 660 does take well to mods. Have you considered a 661? As good as the 660 is, the 661 is a better saw all around.

The 660 does take well to mods. Have you considered a 661? As good as the 660 is, the 661 is a better saw all around.

I'd really like a brand new saw but for how often I use a saw that large I can't justify spending the dough.

Bob as a pro your saws are tools and "right tool for the job" but that should be "right tool for the job as you do it". You have to know exactly what you demand out of your saw to make the best choice and its not always a simple choice. 395 is top of it's class in HP but also in weight. Will it put more timber on the ground at the end of the day than a 660 probably not but will it cut cookies faster, sure. If you pull it out of the saw box 2 or 3 times a week to block a big stem the 395 has the edge but if it goes up the tree a couple times a week the 660 is lighter. Also the 390xp should be considered as it will hold it own in all but the huge wood and is a lot lighter than both biggies. "Lightest saw that will do the job with authority" Ken

It's an autozone gauge that's been riding in the bottom of a parts box in my girlfriends trunk for that past year haha.

Latest posts

Back