MS460 compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was waiting for some smartass comments haha but no pictures for you guys keep it in your pants

You put,,, bottom, box, trunk & girlfriend all in one poast,, surprised I am the only one that asked for pix :) LOL

edit, good luck in your search for a 90cc saw! If you can swing it the 661's are sweet :)

DSCN9618.JPG

You put,,, bottom, box, trunk & girlfriend all in one poast,, surprised I am the only one that asked for pix :) LOL

edit, good luck in your search for a 90cc saw! If you can swing it the 661's are sweet :)

View attachment 415820

I've been watching some videos of them definitely seems to cut faster then a 660

150psi isn't bad in that saw.
If it starts fine and runs fine, leave it alone. What type/brand of gauge are you using?
Compression will vary with your relationship to elevation as well.
In CT, youre pretty much the same elevation as myself @ 150 ASL where Brad is about 650 ASL
So, how much DOES elevation effect the reading? I recently ended up with the exact same thing, MS460 with 150psi, everything looks good. But I'm in NW Montana, around 3500 elev. The saw seems to run just fine and doesn't seem to be lacking in power. ??

So, how much DOES elevation effect the reading? I recently ended up with the exact same thing, MS460 with 150psi, everything looks good. But I'm in NW Montana, around 3500 elev. The saw seems to run just fine and doesn't seem to be lacking in power. ??
That is good compression at 3,500!
Elevation affects compression a lot, you bring that saw down to sea level I would bet it reads 170-175

I kinda figured 150 was good regardless. I was just curious as to the difference with the elevation. After I thought about it for a couple minutes, it made perfect sense. As in, the common type. Sometimes I think my brain just starts having so many farts it chokes on its own gasses and stops funtioning at a normal level....

I am with the if it works well, don't fix it crowd. Save that money for the big saw you want.
If you don't know for a fact your compression gauge is accurate it can cost you believing it is. I bought at least 3 new in the past 10 year give or take, and I don't trust none of them. I had 1 was reading about 20 t0 30lbs low and I sold several saws using the readings, assuming they had weak compression. When my mean little 034 that would about hold its weight hanging on to the starter handle read low I finally realized what was going on. Aiming to buy a snap on myself some day.
I do really like 066's and MS660's myself. I am like you that I don't need that much saw often, and I could get by without but after having 1, it was greatly missed immediately when I lost my 1st in an accident. It took me about a year to work up funding for another 1 used as I had just bought another smaller saw new about the same time that I took a beating on, as it was a lemon. That got me going buying fixer uppers to keep my firewood and sawing business active and led to trading fever. I traded 2 or 3 of those and some cash for a 660 that needed a little attention and haven't been with out it since. I had a 395 a very short time, but wasn't impressed or had need enough to keep it. I like the 660's power, balance , and handling , takes up less space when being transported or stored and bars interchange down to my 026's. And I haven't had a mechanical failure yet. Always starts, runs like an ace and speeds up cutting the 25" + wood for me.

I found out the elevation change on compression out about 5 years ago. I have a couple very healthy stand up skis. Both were about 2 summers old rebuilt, they were 200+psi at home and up at the ride lake they blew 170 or so between them after a hard day of riding. I had a carb problem and i thought i smoked em both at the same time pretty much. Went home and spent over 100 in gaskets on my foolish mistake i was way rich up there that high and i was nevous tuning all weekend. All i can say is check with a gauge or two then watch it as you run it when you buy a item just like a rebuild. I am glad the elevation makes some sence.

I can tell you that if I had a saw pushing 150psi, and the internals looked as good as you say they look.......I wouldnt be fixin what aint broke.
I bought a SnapOn gauge a few years ago.
Paid a lot for the name but at least I know I have one of the best gauges out there.

Too bad a lot of Snap On stuff like gauges is just rebranded.

Back