MS460 top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityboy172

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a factory ms460 top end sitting around not doing anything, that I believe is in good condition. Should I build a 440/460 hybrid, try my hand at porting, or use it for trade someday when I need something ? Open to options. Never done any of the above, just looking to expand my skill set a little.

the 460 jug on a 440 is a very nice mod-- i take it you don't have a 440 or 460? just the jug?

you'll have to come up with a 440/044 from somewhere and they ain't cheap anymore--

now how much ya want for that 460 jug?--LOL

the 460 jug on a 440 is a very nice mod-- i take it you don't have a 440 or 460? just the jug?

you'll have to come up with a 440/044 from somewhere and they ain't cheap anymore--

now how much ya want for that 460 jug?--LOL
I still have a 460. Piston was tired after 7-8 years, plus the abusive life it had before me. Put a meteor piston and cylinder on it, and after doing some reading here, I'm pretty sure the jug was 100% salvageable.

I still have a 460. Piston was tired after 7-8 years, plus the abusive life it had before me. Put a meteor piston and cylinder on it, and after doing some reading here, I'm pretty sure the jug was 100% salvageable.

most of the time they are still useable--

put the original jug back on the 460. from what I have read the oem has better timing than the aftermarket offerings.
More then likely will when I'm done with it in the spring. Will still have a spare jug, so it's all relative. Unless I find a 044 worthy of it first.

Well if u had an 440 case there u would find that the 460 cylinder doses not fit. It's just an 1/8 inch wider on the base. Plus the 460 crank is a bit more beefer if u compare them . I was going to try it too but after seeing that I backed off cause it simply wasn't worth trying. If anyone has had success in doing it I'd love to hear what they went through to do it .

Well if u had an 440 case there u would find that the 460 cylinder doses not fit. It's just an 1/8 inch wider on the base. Plus the 460 crank is a bit more beefer if u compare them . I was going to try it too but after seeing that I backed off cause it simply wasn't worth trying. If anyone has had success in doing it I'd love to hear what they went through to do it .
Run 440/460 hybrid through the search bar. Been done a few times here.

No prob but I will surch them out
Thank u

i have a 044 that has a OEM 460 jug and piston in it that was done years ago -- it still runs pretty strong too--

it ain't much to it. the m460 jug just has to have the bolt holes opened a bit and it will go right on. you might have to adjust on the carb a bit for the extra ccs --

i have noticed no extra RPM but a lot more torque with my conversion. no drop in RPM either.

i used the OEM stihl jug on one- but i have another with the meteor set up -- running them side by side they seem exactly the same. their not "hot-rods" just rebuilds that get run pretty hard.

i have speced out a few OEM jugs --and guess what they vary a bit from jug to jug as well . i think OEM does hold their specs better than AM --but i haven't seen any huge variation except in that hudzle 52mm big bore-- now it was off quite a bit .

with the OEM you chances are better that AM primarily because the OEMs are held to a higher standard. AMs can be very close to OEM--that 50mm cylinder i got for $34 is very very close to OEM

-- the 52mm big bore it was off enough that i'm leery of it-- these are bottom dollar parts -- i suspect the bigger names in AM do a better job "parts sorting" the cheap parts they all go-- in the good bin.

since meteor is the only non OEM i have worked with aside from this china 50mm experimental project i can't say ALL AM jugs are on the money-- but i have not had a bad meteor jug --so far.

can't say about baileys and others like highway ect ect cause i ain't used them . lots go on an on on how superior OEM jugs are -- i'm not 100% sold that there is that much to gain in a OEM jug --except i know the OEM jugs last a long long time --

since i haven't had the AM set up 10 years or more -- i can't say for sure they will last like a OEM-- but so far they have held up well enough.

i do know that a smoothly finished AM jug with a new piston will make more power than a worn and rough OEM provided all else is equal.

Back