MS461 demo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the saw has the rubber mounts. One of our comments of input was a possible spring mount system. The muffler was fitted with the 440/460 dual port, so obviously a two piece. It is a 77cc saw, not sure about the weight.
In may we are supposed to get the same saw with whatever changes made, as well as some of the new 660s, 661s whatever they are going to call them. Evidently there are very little changes to the 660, they are supposedly using their epa credits on that saw.

To clarify the 461 had over 100 hours on it, i just ran it a couple of days. The intake and air system are actually good.

Pretty much all i know, funny how there are always skeptics - oh well.
well stated thanks,cant wait for the new "big" saws.......

I personally would have thought that stihl would basically used the 441 platform and made whatever little changes as possible to make it work.
i think stihl has learned a thing or about the ms441. first and foremost,people do not them messing with the 440,460,660 platform. improve it yes,new design from the ground up,no way.........

That's pocket change for Stihl. The 2011 price increases are BS. Just because they made less $ than the previous year doesn't mean they lost money. They still made over 2 Billion euros in profit for 2009. That's 2.75B US.

"Despite the global economic crisis, the revenue generated by the STIHL Group
decreased by only 4.9 percent and amounted to more than 2 billion euros. The
earnings situation was satisfactory despite the decrease in revenue. With an
equity ratio of 65.3 percent, STIHL has a sound financial structure."

http://www.stihl.com/unternehmen/presse/download_reddot/presse/stihl-gb09-e.pdf

Why are the price increases BS? This is capitalism, man........ Price is based on what the market will pay, not on cost, and not on profit from last year. Stihl is going to continue to raise prices until they start losing market share. That is how it works.

Why are the price increases BS? This is capitalism, man........ Price is based on what the market will pay, not on cost, and not on profit from last year. Stihl is going to continue to raise prices until they start losing market share. That is how it works.

This is true; and as long as husky and jred prices keep going up, and they all rise together, they will keep on rising.

Also, surely their prices on raw materials have gone up, plastics are up, metal costs are also up and will continue to go up because gas and oil is on the rise.

They're going to try to make the same amount of money they have been or more on what they sell. They're not going to work to keep prices where they are until they barely break even.

It's like the Gap. That polo shirt didn't cost anywhere near $30 to make, but they're going to charge what people will pay.

Stihl design the 440,460,660 so why cant they design a new saw?? sorry but that just doesn't make sense.
what i am saying is,i think you will see an improved version in the 461,661. not a clean slate design as we saw with the 441. i would be willing to bet that the final 461 we see,will be very similar to the one in the pics in this post.

@Tree Sling'r

Did you guys say that you wanted spring AV? Are people mixed on it?

The spring mound saws are so much smoother to run. My hand never ached when I ran the Huskies. And I run extremely smooth and properly ground chains. For the average sawyer the rubber mount may not matter, but after years of running a saw for a living I can appreciate a smoother saw.

The spring mound saws are so much smoother to run. My hand never ached when I ran the Huskies. And I run extremely smooth and properly ground chains. For the average sawyer the rubber mount may not matter, but after years of running a saw for a living I can appreciate a smoother saw.

I'm really curious what this means--if there's going to be different saws in the US and europe or something to that effect. Because basically as the rules are written now, I think per EU work standard you can only run a ms 460 or 660 for like 4 hours per day before you're in the red exposure limit area.

That is my biggest question. There is no doubt that springs are the wave of the future.

Maybe they could retrofit springs to fit the case, instead of the current rubber mounts? Similar setup to a dolmar 7900 should be attainable. It would neat if they worked on the 460 as well.:biggrin:

Husky did something similar way back when on the 281/288. Initially the saw was introduced with rubber mounts and later they made "HD" spring mounts available as a retro-fit. It was the best thing since the plastic falling wedge. I ran 288s in some form off and on for ten years and all of mine had the spring mounts. I agree with Sling'r- towards the tail end of my falling career I ran Huskies exclusively because of the superior anti-vibe. The Stihls took more abuse but the Huskies were more comfortable on my old-man hands.

i'm really curious what this means--if there's going to be different saws in the us and europe or something to that effect. Because basically as the rules are written now, i think per eu work standard you can only run a ms 460 or 660 for like 4 hours per day before you're in the red exposure limit area.
there always have been different spec saws for each market.........

i think stihl has learned a thing or about the ms441. first and foremost,people do not them messing with the 440,460,660 platform. improve it yes,new design from the ground up,no way.........

Yes, it sure looks like they have learned something! :clap:

It is a pity they didn't implement that learning on the recent smaller saws.....;)

...... I think per EU work standard you can only run a ms 460 or 660 for like 4 hours per day before you're in the red exposure limit area.

I don't know the details, but I remember from a German saw forum that the PS-7900 was in trouble with the vibe rules (pro use) in Germany some years ago, while the MS460 was better off at that point. I have not followed the issue after that, so I don't know the current situation.

Did they give a HP spec slinger or did it feel like a little more than a stock 460? (although I know stock saws are not your cup of tea)

id be willing to trade a few bigger saws for one of them thats new. whos game?

Latest posts

Back