mud.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
this has got to be the worst fall/winter for logging I have ever seen! it's the 7th of dec. and the ground is like early april with mud.... started at 7:30 this morning and the ground was reasonably hard with frost at 27 degrees. by noon the county shut me down for the day till things either dry up or freeze up. above normal temps for here till the 20th with rain coming! over night temps dip enough to stiffen things up for only 4 good hours of skidding till mud time again. hope not to many others are having to deal with this abnormal weather were having... bring on winter!!

Having the same problem couple hours early morning get in a couple good skids then were knee deep our landing is a mud pit not to mention were getting bad runoff so that's not helping.

We have snow... and blowing snow... and more snow on top of that. And looks like more on the way. I spent two hours today plowing just to get into the landing.

Not too much snow here, but the ground is froze about as hard as a wedding night boner. :surprised3::laugh: I think it got up to 7* for a high today. Was -5* this morning. Up where we were pulling logs there was a 15-20mph breeze. Just enough to not be too fun.

Not too much snow here, but the ground is froze about as hard as a wedding night boner. :surprised3::laugh: I think it got up to 7* for a high today. Was -5* this morning. Up where we were pulling logs there was a 15-20mph breeze. Just enough to not be too fun.
? so it's cool enough to keep the snow flea's and snakes at bay hey? cool breeze would be welcome at any time with your heat wave! good luck on your "HONEY MOON" ?? LOL

!! PLEASE!! send us any snow and cold you figure you dont/wont need... lol

I don't mind the snow so much, its what the wind does with it. Blows constantly. :cold: You can have the wind. Let me know when you want to come by and pick it up.

Similar problem here on the other side of the pond. Spring temps, occasional rain creating mud atop of still thirsty ground. I spent the sunday on a small thinning job one of my relatives bought standing-poorly managed spruce-fir-veymouth pine stand. I was rushing my ass off to get it all on the ground, because more rain is sheduled for this week, with some morning freezing-so the doghaired parts would be crown-frozen together. But except for some toothpicks I could pull out by hands, nothing more. I wish I had to put on the snowchains on that flat ground, much better than having close to zero traction on thin layers of defrosting sticky mud and soaking wet oak leaves all around-and that was just to get there.
Also I have some pretty steep hardwood grounds in focus, to cut here and there, very loose pattern and very selective, but no way how to get anything outta there without totaly frozen ground and 1 ft snow, except for on situ splited longbow blanks, one at a time...

ValleyFirewood: ROFL

SLOWP, worried about the wet mud in rain country? there's a good place to stay safe on top of the goat rocks south of white pass.. standing on them will put you out of harms way with a view... LOL MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Here is a map, so you can see the topography of our fair state. There seems to be a lack of info amongst the folks in the flatlands. We are getting what is called a Pineapple Express event. We had a snow pack up in the mountains. Now we are getting rains and warm temps that stream across the Pacific from Hawaii. That raises the snow level to 8000 feet elevation and causes the snow pack to melt quickly. That feeds into our rivers along with the heavy rains. The ground becomes saturated and unstable slopes move down hill. We had several slides block our access to the outside world in 2007. Nobody was killed, but there were some close calls and lots of damage. I don't like to joke about it, especially after the Oso slide. Such humor is in bad taste. Landslides are one of those things we have to live with to live here.

washington-map.jpg

Its currently 45 here. It should be more like 25. I haven't been to the job site in two weeks due to broken machines so I don't know how life is at 9200 feet. Probably getting muddy even there.

Frank, that doesn't sound too fun.

Today ended up being even worse here warmed up quite a bit and burnt off the frost in less than an hour up to my knees chaps weighed about 20 lbs hard to maintain a chain is those conditions.

Back