mud.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a good cold snap here for the last 2 nights with 3" of wet frozen snow helped out greatly! Monday morning the wood should fly down the skid road to the landing... hope the trucker keeps up! and shows up!!!! ???????

They're saying mid 30's starting sometime tomorrow down here. Hopefully it stays below freezing for ya up there. Should be really nice cutting weather anyway.

I've seen 4-5 degrees lower consistently from the Metro to my place up there. Frontal boundaries will effect that more, but for the quick and dirty it's 5 degrees colder at the cabin than at home.

I hope it stays colder then they are predicting, as I don't need to loose 40.00 a thousand on account of some mud. even at 3' off the ground the tail drag is a itchB at 45' long. I have a couple of the whites that are 100 footers with a 8" top.

]

its an option, with adverse affect drag in an already tight space as dragging the mud like a plow in a gathering slop. sticks to everything.
When my roads are muddy ,i use the fir and cedar limbs to make a road so i do not sink so bad ,lay em across the road like building a bridge ,they will sink in the mud a little ,but your machine will quit tearing the skid road up so bad ,,if you skid the whole tree ,your chain on the saw will go dull real fast from the dirt buildup ,i would limb it right away myself .

this has got to be the worst fall/winter for logging I have ever seen! it's the 7th of dec. and the ground is like early april with mud.... started at 7:30 this morning and the ground was reasonably hard with frost at 27 degrees. by noon the county shut me down for the day till things either dry up or freeze up. above normal temps for here till the 20th with rain coming! over night temps dip enough to stiffen things up for only 4 good hours of skidding till mud time again. hope not to many others are having to deal with this abnormal weather were having... bring on winter!!
this was a first and now there is a second! earliest deep mud season that I have ever seen!!! spring came early and half foot mud in only 2 days? calendar spring wont start for 12 days yet and I need to shut down "NOW" while the ground is still in good shape. waiting to use the new wood puller an it just don't get any better with time? it's not worth tearing up the ground for a few cords to maybe a good 8 cords on a better day of work ... small lot logging/select cutting, is not worth the hassle of repairing forest ground. road restrictions start a week from today if not sooner. half semi loads still cost the same as a full load for delivery! economics ?? just one! time to go "FISH".....

This has been an oddly rough - easy winter. :) Was demonstrating the plug planting procedure for my tool I'm selling to a friend who was buying one this morning and hit frost at exactly 6" here in the metro. There's no good that'll come from putting weight on that saturated soil! I'm surprised it's that deep up there though. You guys have been on the other side of the fronts up until the last couple days, no? We've had above freezing overnight lows for a little over a week.

My fruit tree buddies are all afraid we're going to get hit with a late frost after the trees start to bud out thinking it's Spring.

Froze here. I drove my truck across my yard with 3 yards of gravel, didn't even make a mark. Gotta haul a few more loads today (filling a sinkhole)

We had to pull the plug on Monday. Working some ground with quite a bit of clay. I went out to the job site with some reps today and it was a tough go in 4 wheel in the pickup. Hope it dries quick.

This has been an oddly rough - easy winter. :) Was demonstrating the plug planting procedure for my tool I'm selling to a friend who was buying one this morning and hit frost at exactly 6" here in the metro. There's no good that'll come from putting weight on that saturated soil! I'm surprised it's that deep up there though. You guys have been on the other side of the fronts up until the last couple days, no? We've had above freezing overnight lows for a little over a week.

My fruit tree buddies are all afraid we're going to get hit with a late frost after the trees start to bud out thinking it's Spring.
I know their fears... when I lived in the lower Yakima valley in Washington state we had fruit trees and it was a fear of frost every spring during bud/blossom time. for the cure it was spraying water, or using smudge pots to chase away the white demon! it was always figured that a thin layer of clear ice was better than a lite coat of frost?....

We had to pull the plug on Monday. Working some ground with quite a bit of clay. I went out to the job site with some reps today and it was a tough go in 4 wheel in the pickup. Hope it dries quick.
long term forecast is for drier then normal but with any areas of a deeper frost the little rain we do get will either make for frost holes or later mud traps and both! tried to do a little work on a north facing slop but no good! we are doomed till drier times....

Lucky for us it was a super warm winter so the frost levels aren't very deep. The road system we re on now has only been free of snow for maybe a month so it's lucky to have a foot of frost. Shouldnt take more than three weeks or so ad long as ma nature doesn't get grumpy

Lucky for us it was a super warm winter so the frost levels aren't very deep. The road system we re on now has only been free of snow for maybe a month so it's lucky to have a foot of frost. Shouldnt take more than three weeks or so ad long as ma nature doesn't get grumpy
true! but! it's march acting like mid april so what's to come in april showers?

Back