Multitrunk ash treated with TreeAge - one trunk no leaf out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TominKY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had several ash trees injected with emamectin benzoate (TreeAge) via the ArborJet system last summer. All of the trees leafed out well this spring, with the exception of one large multi-trunk ash. This one leafed out well on 3 of the 4 trunks, but the 4th one budded out with the usual pollen clusters, but the leaf buds just never went anywhere. They simply stopped growing. I looked closely at one of the lower branches, and it is green under the outer bark if I scratch it with my fingernail, so it's not completely dead. This morning I can see some small green growths sprouting out of the branches. Does anyone have any theories on what happened? It's easy to suspect that this particular trunk had damage to the vascular system from some EAB larvae, but it had good uptake of the injection sites last year, and most of the trees in the neighborhood that are showing EAB damage are simply dead - no signs of growth at all like on this tree.

Before I write this one off, does anyone have any suggestions on some things to try to nurse it along? I was thinking about some aeration around the root zone followed by application of some fertilizer. I guess I will just have to wait and see what it does later in the season, but input from some experts would be greatly appreciated!

This is a real interesting one. I have not seen any info on what happens when you over dose your ash tree with emamectin benzoate. It sure looks like chemical damage, I would start with what was applied to lawn under the tree. Broad leaf herbicide for weed control would be the #1 suspect. Don't fertilize, keep soil moist & give it time.

Hmmm, interesting that you mention herbicide. We did apply a granular "weed & feed" product earlier in the spring - but it was a crabgrass pre-emergent, not a broadleaf herbicide. I did find that we were accidentally applying higher than the recommended rate on part of the yard, but then corrected it. I applied 2-4D for broadleaf via a backpack sprayer about a week ago, but the issue with the one stem had presented itself prior to this. I'll take your advice to give it plenty of water, and we'll see what happens. The fact that it is trying to push out some new green growth is slightly encouraging.

It's damned depressing to just go for a walk here in the neighborhood and see all of these huge, stately ash trees dying from those little green bastards. I wish there was a way to just universally nuke them. Thanks for the reply.

The thing that is strange is that it's mainly that one stem. I don't recall any issues with applying the TreeAge, and all 4 stems received the same dose.

Update - sorry, don't have any pictures, but tree looks a lot better now. It did push out more leaves, both from tips, but also some new sprouts along the branches. Fortunately mother nature is doing a good job keeping it watered for me, at least for now. I will continue to monitor it and keep it hydrated.

Rest of the trees that I treated look pretty good. The neighborhood has heavy EAB infestation, lots of trees dead or declining. There are still a number of healthy looking untreated ash around, but just a matter of time. This week I printed up flyers to inform my neighbors about EAB and put names and numbers of some local arborists. I just can't stand by and see a lot of these beautiful mature trees dying from simple ignorance. We have a lot of new neighbors on the street who have no idea what is going to happen to their trees. The local government has done an absolutely crappy job of informing the public or proactively trying to combat the EAB problem.

Planning to retreat my trees next spring (2-year mark). At what point (if any) will I be able to maybe stretch it out to every 3 years for TreeAge treatment?

For any neighbors who want to save trees, what is the latest in the season that their trees can be injected? Can this be done in the fall?

Back