My chainsaw pops but won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Phillips

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a poulan 3314 chainsaw used. When I bought it the seller said it would need cleaning. I was able to get it started but it would die as soon as I pulled the trigger. I decided to replace the carburetor, fuel lines, fuel filter, and spark plug. Then I bought fresh premix and bar oil for it. I got it started and it ran for like a minute and a half. Then it started smoking and got really hot and cut out. Now I can't get it started. I pulled off the muffler and don't see any scoring on the piston. I pulled the plug to check for spark and I've got that too. The compression is reading 140. I don't know what to do next except take the whole thing apart and see what I find. Please help!!

Smoking?? What got hot? More info?? Was it idling or was the chain spinning? Maybe it needs clutch springs? Does it glide freely with the starter off and the plug out.. by hand? I'd start with that.

It pops since you did the carb? What do you mean pops..it fires once? or backfires?
Is everything tightend down? Could it have developed a massive leak on the last run like the the cylinder lifting?
Other things could be timing/coil going out of time? (Don't no that saw/specifics as far as coil habitats
*Edit ..always try another plug too.
Not saying that sounds like it could be a heating problem like you have, but plugs fail under compression and heat as well. it doesn't mean the spark is in time. See any fuel out of the muffler? or is it pushing smoke?

Smoking?? What got hot? More info?? Was it idling or was the chain spinning? Maybe it needs clutch springs? Does it glide freely with the starter off and the plug out.. by hand? I'd start with that.
The whole chainsaw got hot and started smoking a whole lot and then it just died. It was smoking for a while after it shut off. With the plug out it pulls freely. I never did anything but let it idle.

It pops since you did the carb? What do you mean pops..it fires once? or backfires?
Is everything tightend down? Could it have developed a massive leak on the last run like the the cylinder lifting?
Other things could be timing/coil going out of time? (Don't no that saw/specifics as far as coil habitats
Not saying that sounds like it could be a heating problem like you have, but plugs fail under compression and heat as well. it doesn't mean the spark is in time. See any fuel out of the muffler? or is it pushing smoke?
When I pull the cord the chainsaw gets flooded after a few pulls. It acts like it wants to run but it only fires like once and then stops.

How do you adjust the timing on a chainsaw?

For the whole saw to be hot I would think your clutch could be in play or the turbo charger can't breathe. More like the former. :)

I don't know your saw but normally the woodruff key would shear and the flywheel would move and knock your timing off. You said you tightened up the coil did you gap it? Like with a business card.

need to do a press and vac test. dont know if anyone has said this but you might want to check the fulcrum lever. its what the needle hook tool

also want to make sure that your impulse hole is not covered up you will see the hole in the plastic intake,

The whole chainsaw got hot and started smoking a whole lot and then it just died. It was smoking for a while after it shut off. With the plug out it pulls freely. I never did anything but let it idle.
OK this is how it works Nate. If you don't follow direction, I get frustrated. If I screw up? I'm protected under The Good Samaritans Act. Basically I'm not even a Machanic but you can get me for free. Couples counseling at 11:00.
Thanks

Now let's have you try this again.
I said take the plug out and starter cover off and roll it by hand" ....first I wanted you to be positive that nothing is/was dragging first on the outside like the clutch was in question...inspect everything. We don't know if it was straight gassed and they put another Cylinder on it. Again, ,has the cylinder lifted up?
Now roll the flywheel around one way then the other slowly feeling and listening. Does it feel crunchy in a spot or binding anywhere? It may be intermittent and takes a minute to bind. If the bottom end tightened up and it was just idling, it would have stopped sudden? In cases it may be able to cool off and run again in a few minutes. .mostly looking for the obviously things here so you can get them out of the way.

..you didn't leave something stuffed in the manifold did you?
Also my 2nd post?????? A new plug
doesn't mean shìt. Do you have another one? Or try the old one again for a difference. Was it wet around the muffler with fuel
did you notice or was it smoking raw fuel when running? Could be more than one problem right?

How do you adjust the timing on a chainsaw?
If your flywheel key isn't broken you won't need to. If your saw is out of time you'll probably need a new ignition module. I think you really have carburetor problems instead. Try adjusting the H and L screws at around 1 turn out, if it hesitates then turn them out another 1/4 turn and try again. Possibility you may have a bad carburetor...

Back