My craigslist Stihl 510...pics inside!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgrady1982

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
$50 from a guy by me!

Here are the pics. I tried to start it but no go, it has nice compression but I have not tested it yet.

Does anybody have a manual for it. The PO said that it ran last year, and he went to start it this year and he could not get it to fire.

Here are the pics:

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

Hopefully this makes up for my attempted CL purchase last week. I was literally at the ATM taking out $100 to meet a guy with a blown up MS250, when he texted me that he had to "work late," and could not meet me that evening. I called the next day to set up another time for me to come get the saw and he said that he sold it the previous night...but it was okay though because he wanted to sell me a $600 MS440, I was like NO WAY, take care my man. :bang:

bummer! :msp_mellow:

I will first admit that I am not so knowledgeful on this series of Stihl, nor have I ever ran one. Going strictly by Acres website the S10 was 56cc, the 08 was only 50cc but there was a 08S that was 56cc so maybe yours could be a "S" version?? Hopefully someone will come along that knows how to tell the different versions apart.

Is my saw missing the "kill switch?"

I cannot find it on the saw and the stihlusa.com owners manual says that it should be next to the choke lever.

huh?????

Hopefully this makes up for my attempted CL purchase last week. I was literally at the ATM taking out $100 to meet a guy with a blown up MS250, when he texted me that he had to "work late," and could not meet me that evening. I called the next day to set up another time for me to come get the saw and he said that he sold it the previous night...but it was okay though because he wanted to sell me a $600 MS440, I was like NO WAY, take care my man. :bang:

He did you a favor because $100 for a blown up MS250 is waaaay too much to pay...:msp_thumbdn:

$50 from a guy by me!

Here are the pics. I tried to start it but no go, it has nice compression but I have not tested it yet.

Does anybody have a manual for it. The PO said that it ran last year, and he went to start it this year and he could not get it to fire.

Here are the pics:

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

youre saw is one of the earliest 08's, it has the plugged transfer port cylinder, it should have had a push down (white button) shut off switch, and yours has the sand cast muffler, $600. may not been a bad deal on the ms440, depending on condition:msp_wink:

Last edited:
Somebody PM'ed me a service manual for the 08. Does anybody have one for the S10?

Thanks,
Jack

What would this saw be worth when I get it all fixed up?

Should I powdercoat the orange and white parts? Or rattle can them?

What are the aftermarket "colors" for the Stihl orange and white?

Thanks again,
Jack

My front handel handel s10 muffler, its the same. theres a early 08 in the background diffrent muffler

As you've pointed out, there are both top and rear handled S10s. I have both, as well as an early 08S. The top handled S10 is the least common, and therefore, the most valuable.

That is one FINE looking 288 you got there,Im surprised you wanna sell it.I dont think Ive ever seen a better one.

That is one FINE looking 288 you got there,Im surprised you wanna sell it.I dont think Ive ever seen a better one.

So he's a good photographer...big deal.:hmm3grin2orange:

But can we keep this on topic, please?

And speaking of thread hijacking, was there ever an S10 with just the long aluminum badge on the clutch cover vs. cast?

Poge

Was that the Oberlin listing by chance? Gave the lister a call with no response, and there aren't too many "510's" listed in our area at any given time. Just wondering.

Was gonna snag it myself. Shucks.

Poge

You got it!

I was sitting at home waiting for the carpet people to come and fix some tears in the carpet and I saw that listing and figured I would call it. I got a hold of the guy and met up with him about two hours later. He said he paid $150 for the saw about 10 years ago from somebody who just fixed it up. He also said that he used the saw about once a week during that summer and that he did cut a lot of wood with it.

Does anybody out there have the Stihl Service manual for this saw?

I was able to get a parts diagram and a Clymer manual, but not the Stihl OEM version.

Thanks again to the member here who sent me those three manuals so far! I appreciate it!

-Jack

Back