My dad's McCulloch Mac Pro 10-10S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robpm

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my Dad's Mac Pro 10-10S. It was sent to me many years ago by my mother after he died. I think I have had it for close to 8 years. It was not used too much by him as you can see by the pictures. I cleaned what sawdust was in it out of it after I received it. The cover to the oil reservoir was off of it with the bolts so I am not sure why that was that way. I'm hoping that there was not a problem with it. He's not around to ask. I am guessing that it should have a gasket but I am not sure of that either. The engine is free and everything seems to work fine. The carburetor compartment looks like new in fact the saw looks almost new.

I want to try and see if I can get it running. If it runs well I would like to use it for a specific task. I was able to obtain a manual a good while back and I digitized it. I was looking at the mixture for the oil:gas ratio and the manual gives two scenarios. One is to use McCulloch's 40:1 ratio oil and the other is to use SAE 40 two-cycle oil in a 20:1 ratio. Obviously McCulloch's 40:1 ratio oil does not exist anymore. Do any of you have some suggestions or thoughts on the oil:gas mixture? I am guessing that I look for some 40 weight two-cycle oil and mix it up. Does anyone have any suggestions on the octane rating on the gas I should use. In my Stihl 044 and 020 I use 91 octane and of course the Stihl 2 cycle oil. I realize that gas was different when this saw was purchased. It did not have corn syrup in it and it was not as oxygenated as it is now. I have looked at a few video clips of people running this saw and it looks like it has some power to it. Obviously no where near as fast as my 044 or as powerful but I understand it has some real torque and lugging power. I know if is much heavier and will most likely ware me out quickly running it.

I have attached some pictures of it which I took last night. It still has the plastic/rubber scabbard from the place he purchased it in NH. He owned many McCulloch saws in his days and some of them were big and heavy but they would cut. He bought a lot of them from this place. These were the days of McCulloch and Homelite etc.

Any idea what this saw would be worth if it runs well in its present condition? I am assuming it will but of course that has to be determined.

Thanks for your input.

Rob

Here is where you can look at the saw https://plus.google.com/photos/1160...s/6021824770682682817?authkey=CIqz64-5ifWviwE

Faster or slower shouldn't really matter, you can't put a price on a saw like that! I've read to many threads saying the exact same thing... almost every one ended the same... wished I hadn't sold it!

Great saw, very nice shape.. similar saws sell in the $200+ range

Use premium grade fuel, mixed 40:1 with any of the good brand two cycle oils available most anywhere. Non-E fuel is better than Ethanol type fuel if possible. What your using in the Stihl will be fine.

It needs a gasket for the oil tank, easy fix.

Good luck with it.
Randy

You mentioned that the oil cover was off with the bolts, there is only one bolt that holds the cover on, if you have more bolts be sure to check for empty looking bolt holes. Yes, there is a gasket for the cover. Most of them are thin cork and should be easy enough to find. Not having been run in so many years it might be better to get a carb rebuild kit and go through it as well. If the fuel line is hard and not pliable you may want to locate one of them too. Push the oil plunger a few times to see if the manual oiler works. The auto oiler sometimes clogs up and may stop working. May be that was the reason that the cover was off. 40 to 1 at current gas and oil is fine for that saw. Good luck, you have a nice looking saw and have come to the right place to seek help. There are many fine mechanics here on the sight to help out, all you need do is ask.

Djones, you are right there was only one bolt. There were no others. I was figuring on going to an automotive store and get a sheet of gasket material and make my own.

I agree on the carb kit. Can you still buy a carb kit for this saw? If so where? I was just talking to a friend and told him that the worst case scenario is that the carburetor is gummed up.

Thanks for the good suggestion on checking the fuel line as well. I kind of can't wait to get this saw up and running to see what kind of power it has.

you need the carb numbers off the carb to get the right kit. Fuel lines are readily available for the saw. Looks like it was taken very good care of. If he drained it years ago, probably before Ethanol fuel was the norm, may not need anything but some fuel and a few pulls.

Click the web address in my signature to get a carb kit if needed.

A couple years ago I purchased a like-new 10-10s just like that for only$50! This is why I bought it as it was cheap and in terrific shape. There was not a scratch on the thing. It starts and runs great. Those old Macs sure sound good when running.

Randy thanks. I did a quick search and I found that this site had digitized the service manual for the Pro Mac 10-10S and that you could download it which was really nice http://lawn-garden.needmanual.com/mcculloch-promac-10-10s-chainsaw-service-parts-list.html

It looks like it is a Walbro carburetor. It gives the Mac part number but I don't know that it lists the Walbro part number. I will have to look at the carburetor when I get home.

Is it possible to uploaded a PDF of the manual in case someone else does some searching and needs this manual. I'm on a tractor forum and they allow you to do all kinds of things like this. It seems as though you can only give URL's to upload something. Maybe I'm wrong.

There is a thread in the sticky's section called "beg for manuals" that normally gets used up by members... ask for any manual or parts list you require there.

It's probably a Walbro and probably a K-10 WAT will be the kit. The number is on the side of the carb, should say something like SDC/HDC/HDA or close to that. Kits about $10, molded fuel line on ebay with a filter for about the same. For those saws, I add a grommet to the tank penetration and then use normal fuel line instead of the molded one, cheaper in the long run, still effective.

Site is picky about where you put a link and to what. Normally only pointing towards a sponsors site for parts, manuals probably ok. Sending someone a link in a private conversation OK also.

Good luck with it... they are great saws. 58cc of ear bleeding, finger numbing power!

Randy, sounds good. I have found a fuel line for it. However I'm not finding the fuel filter assembly. I saw this one on your site Oregon 07-215, Fuel Filter Porous P. Do you think this would work with it? I guess I really need to know the diameter of the fuel line.

great... now open the "H" needle CCW 1-1 1/4 turn from lightly seated. Then check the fuel line to make sure it's not hard or melted rubber.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/video-how-to-tune-a-chainsaw.113538/
Watch this video several times. Then watch it with you eyes closed to hear how it sounds when tuned. That Mac will sound much louder and be easier to hear when it goes from 4-stroking to 2 stroking... watch, listen.... then go tune your saw correctly.

Have fun!

I got the saw in my profile pic from my dad when he died. Means a lot being able to keep it up, good luck and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sentimental value of that particular saw aside, a 10-10 with good compression is an awesome saw. A super - that much better, and dad's old saw - better yet. They don't sell for too much around here (50-125 max). Mine is worth much more to me than I could sell it for and I have no attachment to it, it just runs great and sounds great.
DSC07539_zps3cbb9585.jpg

Nice saws. I paid $50 for a 10-10s, clean like the original post but not as clean. I put a dog on it off my granddad's PM800.

I just bought one for $30. It's on the shelf until this winter when I have time to mess with it.

Back