My Dog is Afraid of the Fire, Yours?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a standard wood stove with a large glass door so the flames are visible, I love the heat and flames, not my Siberian.

Is your dog(s) afraid of fire? I see all these ads with a dog laying near a fireplace, not my critter.

I've seen him chase a mountain lion and a 300 lb black bear boar, but fire, thunder and gun fire and he's gone.

We have 3 labs and a dachschund . It's alway a competition for the best spot by the stove . It can be inconvenient come time to reload the stove .
On edit.... One of the barn cats likes to sneak in on really cold night to add to the pet pile. I'm alright with that as long as he is keeping he mice population down.

Last edited:
My boiler is in the garage so the 2 roving mouse traps get to hang out by it.

Nope. I don't think so. The Used Dog is afraid of the floor. He will not walk on laminate or wood or bright slippery floor. He will sometimes walk on tile. To get to the stove would require him to venture out on the bare floor. He's ok as long as one foot is anchored on the area rug. He will not walk out for a nice, meaty bone, or a Beggin Strip. The laminate floor is a very scary thing.

They wheeled him out on a cart at the vet office one time. He was in for shots and I dragged him into the exam room. While getting wheeled through the waiting room, he was the object of Poor sick doggie, ohhhhh he must be very sick, etc. sympathy. He was wheeled out the door where he hopped off and was back to normal.

If I want to give him a bath, indoors, I must wait till he is asleep, grab his bed with him on it, and quickly drag it across the floor to the bathroom. I shove him in the bathroom and into the shower.

Every dog has a quirk.

True about the Husky, just get him a snow drift and he will be in heaven. My dog did not like the fire in the house to start with but within a few short weeks he was laying right in front of it soaking up the heat.

We have a half Dane 1/4 Lab 1/4 Golden mix that LOVES the stove and is my shadow during bonfires, campfires and even brush-disposal fires.

Lady Loves the Stove

Lady, my Flat-Coated Retriever, loves to lie next to my Federal Airtight 288 stove when it's hot. I sometimes have to coax her away from it for fear that she will overheat. Dogs tend to not be able to sense heat as easily as humans.
Lady2.jpg

Lady has never met a Golden Retriever or a Lab male that she does not like.

The two critters I have now, chase firworks ! and lay next to the fire. But I've had a few high price hunting dogs, that were gun shy. I can't figure it out.

My Black and tan coonhound lays right up against the stove........The whole house smells like Hot dogs:laugh:

My Dalmatian Jake would often get three, and sometimes four, legs UNDER the stove. The hotter it was the more he liked it. Even though I watched him many times get up I still can't explain how he did with out hitting the stove!

Deathly afraid of thunder though.

Our Hannah(120lb Jack Russel boxer mix LOL!) has to be temp. regulated by locating the Mutt bed far enough away from the fireplace so that she wont burst into flames. She will hold her bladder for 10 hours before she will go outside in the rain and mess up her "Fur-do"though. Never, ever in my life have I met such a "Girly" dog...crazy Mutt even checks herself in the mirror several times a day. Loud noise like saws and gunfire isn't her thing, she will tolerate it fine if she is told to stay, but if not, she wanders off and lets herself back into the house and dosn't close the door behind her. I gotta figure out how to train her to close the doors she opens.

Jed, our Rescue Malinois pup isn't afraid of anything. Period.
He has a thing for playing with wrist thick sized sticks, and has lurched to grab them out of the firebox, as I was loading them onto hot coals, so we had to train that sort of thing out of him and establish the fireplace as a "No zone". Loud stuff he is still puzzled by, except gunfire which he relates to play.

Our Old Tervuren Sam had no issues with fire, but was convinced that there was a particularly evil slippery spot in the bedroom, and had some serious hatred for a particular Christmas tree ornament. Mutts have quirks like people, and even pick up a few from us.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My 2 labs love sleeping by the stove, the shepard will sleep downstairs on the cool concrete. Go figure.

Back