My first attempt at a home made chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not 100% positive it can't be don't but when I laid it out I could only have about 20" of usable bar. I don't want to be too close to the nose of the bar. And I have a felling dog in the chassis of the saw that's in the way of the bar clamp. Then the bar clamps are about an inch wide. So even if I could use all 28" of the bar I'm already down to 26" with both bar clamps. Then another inch for the falling dog and 2-3" for the sprocket. I could get very close. To 22". But the. Again when will I ever need lumber that's 22" wide. Aside from a slab for a tabletop or something of that nature. And then you get to the point where my ms460 will struggle milling something of that size. I had wanted to make it adjustable but the work involved to get another inch or two didn't seem worth it to me. Unless I'm missing something which is very possible as I've never milled before.

Regards-Carlo
Don't underestimate the power of the 460 saw. With the right chain for the job my ms-460 pulled skip chisel around the five foot bar in my avatar to cross cut the table top under my arm.
If you have trouble with the bar staying parallel with the guide above rocking the cut,it may help to use 2 rods each end outboard,in line thru the clamp. I don't know if that will do the deed or not. Start with less important logs for learning, come back and let us know how it goes. Mill safe

Back