MY FIRST SAW! WHAT WAS YOURS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw in 1965 was a well used Homlite monster with a bow and 20" bar. I bought it to clear a house lot that I built my house on.
Next was a Stihl 015l in 1973 to cut firewood for my new wood stove.
I let it be known I was looking for free chain saws.
Four Eager Beavers, two Mac 10-10s a Mac 15, 50cc Craftsman, Stihl 024, and a 026 and 029, Husky 55 and two 350s. Most I got running.
Couple Polands and a Wild Thing, which I gave away.
Tied of other people junk I started to buy new/used.
Makita 340, Makita 6400(2), Dolmar 7900 and a Husky 455 Rancher. Latest saw is a Tanaka 3351, 10# baby saw, I luv it.
Last count 11, (eleven) runners and another dozen project or parts saws.
The 015l still runs but my go to saws are the Makitas/Dolmar and the 455 Rancher.

The CAD got me bad, headed to rehab

see-saw counto_O
images

My first saw my echo cs3450 got it when I was 8 from my dad I'm going on 20 years old now and it still runs great. Still has original spark plug, lines, air filter etc. had to replace the bar and chain with how much use I put it through but it's been the most reliable saw to me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 43
My first saw my echo cs3450 got it when I was 8 from my dad I'm going on 20 years old now and it still runs great. Still has original spark plug, lines, air filter etc. had to replace the bar and chain with how much use I put it through but it's been the most reliable saw to me
Crop your pics just a bit and they won't be upside down :)
8 is young for a chainsaw,

My first was a used Pioneer. No idea on model. I think it was an 18" bar. This was in 1975. I used the Pioneer for a couple of years then I moved up to a Pro Mac....spent the next couple years trying to crank that hateful thing!!

My first saw. My dad got the saw from his girlfriend who went to yard sales. I ended up taking it over because he thought too little of it. Used it a lot, and then worked for a family friend for many weeks cutting up tops. Never let me down, but moved on to other saws and this now needs to be gone through.20150331_212430.jpg

I have on of those, bought it new in 1973, did a ton of work with it. I call it
" The little saw that could".

Husky L65 purchased new in 1977 still have it, then I got my Husky 357xp

Mine was also a Husky L65 purchased new in the mid 70's. I quickly figured out that it was too cumbersome for cutting small stuff so I had to buy more saws. I'm still using 65's, and have my original one. I like my L77 better. I noticed one on ebay a few days ago, missing a few parts, but it appeared to have been hardly used and was in like new condition. It was going for 12 dollars plus 14 dollars shipping. I thought I was going to steal it, the auction was almost over, just myself and one other person bidding. Then we got in a bidding war and I lost interest after we ran it up to $120.00. Well shucks, if this joker had stayed away I could have had another L77 for practically nothing. CAD can make you sad sometimes. I really didn't need yet another saw, but these old L series Huskys are very well made.

Mine was also a Husky L65 purchased new in the mid 70's. I quickly figured out that it was too cumbersome for cutting small stuff so I had to buy more saws. I'm still using 65's, and have my original one. I like my L77 better. I noticed one on ebay a few days ago, missing a few parts, but it appeared to have been hardly used and was in like new condition. It was going for 12 dollars plus 14 dollars shipping. I thought I was going to steal it, the auction was almost over, just myself and one other person bidding. Then we got in a bidding war and I lost interest after we ran it up to $120.00. Well shucks, if this joker had stayed away I could have had another L77 for practically nothing. CAD can make you sad sometimes. I really didn't need yet another saw, but these old L series Huskys are very well made.
eBay is just horrible. I have these two as of yet unidentified saws, let me know if you need parts and ill make your day.
Might be just a hollow gesture by me, as i dont know anythong about these older saws. I just know i hate eBay!

Okay trying one more time with the link. If you want some parts chucked id be happy to
Help. I think it is a huskie. If someone else wants parts too that's okay too. No one should get gouged like that, pay a huge price 20150404_103110.jpg

I got a Poulan wildthing in 2002 to do small trimming work.

I quickly realized I should have got something better with less vibration and upgraded to a MS260 in 05. Great saw. After tons of use and overworking it in big oaks I finally acquired a MS362 and then a MS461 for the big stuff. That MS260 is still my go to saw to come with the atv for brush and misc work as it is light and reliable. The MS362 is the all around saw for me and should have been my first saw (360 back then).

My first was an MS 361 with double dogs and a full wrap. Bought it out West, so it came with a 24" bar. Much more fun and more practical with a 16 or 20". At least in my neck of the woods. Great saw, but I'm gonna sell it to fund a bigger saw.

Back