My first time milling. Large oak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOlsen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I removed a large post oak tree this past weekend, it had a 36" diameter trunk about 17' long. I've got it in two lengths ready to mill. I've never milled before. I have a 395xp and ordered a Alaskan mill and 42" bar with two chains.

I have read threw the tips and tricks page, but am still open to any advice. My plan for now is to start with a few slabs and see what they look like and how cracked the wood is already, then try and decided what can be done with it. You can see a few nails I cut threw, I imagine I'll find more as I go, I plan to borrow a metal detector. I'll post pictures as I go! IMG_20170911_124848.jpg IMG_20170911_124932.jpg IMG_20170911_125006.jpg

I'm new at milling as well. If you can strip the bark off it will help your chain stay sharp a bit longer. I've had trouble setting up my logs on a steep incline in that when I complete the cut the slab slides forward before I can get the mill out of the way. As steep as you have the short log I can see that happening. A friend uses a metal detector on logs for his bandmill. He told me that it only picks up a couple of inches in depth so you might want to pass over the log with the detector after each cut. Good luck!

I removed a large post oak tree this past weekend, it had a 36" diameter trunk about 17' long. I've got it in two lengths ready to mill. I've never milled before. I have a 395xp and ordered a Alaskan mill and 42" bar with two chains.

I have read threw the tips and tricks page, but am still open to any advice. My plan for now is to start with a few slabs and see what they look like and how cracked the wood is already, then try and decided what can be done with it. You can see a few nails I cut threw, I imagine I'll find more as I go, I plan to borrow a metal detector. I'll post pictures as I go! View attachment 601048 View attachment 601049 View attachment 601050
If you have a power washer using it to clean up the surface is a good idea. As far as the cut sliding and catching the mill, a trick I have used is once the chain is far enough in I can have used a board to overlap the opening. By screwing into the slab the board acts as a brake to hold the top slab in place. I have used two screws or three depending on the slope.IMG_20161006_133420.jpg The overlap to the sides is easier for me to see. 18v screwdriver is used to hold pipe hanger straps on ladder to log, same size screws hold the board that stops slide.
mill safe & enjoy

Latest posts

Back