My "new" 670 champ (Could use a little more info)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HammerMN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a Jonsered 670 champ a couple weeks ago.

Been cleaning it up. Got a carb kit and ignition coil coming. New plug, fuel filter, and air filter.

looks like oil seal is bad haven't taken the clutch off yet.

Serial number starts 422, that means it's from 1994?
I know there's a split in the 670 where it goes from 4.5 to 4.9 hp any idea which one mine is?
So there is two fuel lines coming out of the tank... One goes to the carb and one has a screw sticking in it... Is this the way it should be?
Is a 28" bar too big?

Anymore information on my saw would be great...

Thanks

Been cleaning it up. Got a carb kit and ignition coil coming. New plug, fuel filter, and air filter.

I know there's a split in the 670 where it goes from 4.5 to 4.9 hp any idea which one mine is?
So there is two fuel lines coming out of the tank... One goes to the carb and one has a screw sticking in it... Is this the way it should be?
Is a 28" bar too big?

Thanks

Being a champ I believe it would be after the case change going from the older two piece ign to the single coil....this would probably the higher output saw. if the tank is original to the saw and has two fuel lines it would be the latest version......but either someone has changed the tank or the carb. One fuel line is feed to the carb the other is a return to the tank......if your carb has only one hose barb then one or the other has been changed. 28" bar is the upper limit for a saw of this frame size......these handle best with an 18 or 20" bar....they have the power to run a longer bar but they get real nose heavy out past 24"......guess what you plan to use the saw for will dictate the bar length more than the power needed....

PS...welcome to the site...

Being a champ I believe it would be after the case change going from the older two piece ign to the single coil....this would probably the higher output saw. if the tank is original to the saw and has two fuel lines it would be the latest version......but either someone has changed the tank or the carb. One fuel line is feed to the carb the other is a return to the tank......if your carb has only one hose barb then one or the other has been changed. 28" bar is the upper limit for a saw of this frame size......these handle best with an 18 or 20" bar....they have the power to run a longer bar but they get real nose heavy out past 24"......guess what you plan to use the saw for will dictate the bar length more than the power needed....

PS...welcome to the site...

Doesn`t seem that the like button is working so here is a posted," like"

So the tillotson carb kit I got for it was all the perfect gaskets. I wouldn't think it has the wrong tank considering the crankcase also has hole for second fuel line?

If your carb is not setup for a return line just put a piece of fuel line in the second hole and cap it off with an Echo tank vent, won't hurt anything.

Joe

Is a 28" bar too big?

Thanks

Yes, 1994 week 22 (provided the tag is black - should be on a Champ). The Champ was the same saw as the Super II, and rated at 4.9 hp in North America.

A 28" bar is a bit long, but it should be doable in a pinch, with a skip chain. Personally, I wouldn't want anything over 20" for regular use.

almost done with the overhaul.. only thing left i need is the dust cover for the oil pump now i was wondering is there a support or bushing for in between the sprocket and the clutch drum or does the sprocket move freely up and down? thanks

well when i get home from night school all my parts should be there...

just need bar and chain now.

Baileys has a pretty good sale going on arbormax bar and chain combo. You can get a 18-20" for around 50 shipped if you use the code. Pretty nice combo i think.

almost done with the overhaul.. only thing left i need is the dust cover for the oil pump now i was wondering is there a support or bushing for in between the sprocket and the clutch drum or does the sprocket move freely up and down? thanks

The rim should be able to float a little in/out on the splines, to "self adjust" to where the centerline of the bar is. This is a design feature, and not a flaw.

Back