My new sawbuck. Whatcha tink?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pcoz88 said:
That is a great idea BlueRidgeMark.Did you have a drawing for that sawbuck?

Ooops! I abandoned this thread too soon! DIdn't mean to ignore you.

No, no plans. Just drew it up in my head, then on paper. I made the plans up in Excel - I use it often for a poor man's AutoCad. At least it lets me make neat drawings. I can email the file if anyone is interested. It's Excel 97 for Windoze.

Last edited:
Update

Well, now that I've used it a bit, I like it. I've quit being careful about loading - I just pile it on and cut. A few pieces hang out too far and wind up too long, so they just get tossed on the next round. I found I was spending too much time lining everything up on one end. Now I handle a few pieces twice and go much faster overall.

This was well worth my time to make.

BTW, I don't bother strapping things down anymore. Just load and cut. Once in a while something gets grabbed by the chain and tossed out of the rack. Care in how I approach the wood takes care of that.

If you are one of those who tosses anything under 6", this wouldn't make sense for you.

To quote my buddy when he saw my wood piles a few years back:

"I think you have a problem." :laugh:

Its nice to know that others have the same problem as me.

nice buck mark

I pretty much copied your plan and built one out of 2x4s I had laying around. It is a work in progress but is fully functional as is. It is a bit large since I havn't cut the 8 foot 2x4s down yet. I'll post a pic of it asap.
It saves so much time and is much safer than my old way of cutting branches. I plan to make 1 or 2 more for other areas. I can move it around but why bother. Thanks Mark!!

BlueRidgeMark said:
If you are one of those who tosses anything under 6", this wouldn't make sense for you.

<1-1/2" is my cut off. Why throw away good wood? The rest goes into a pile for bonfires.

My sentaments exactley Leebo. I also fill a few trash cans full of kindling. Enough to get through the winter. 1/4 to 2 inches. Small stuff in one can, bigger stuff in another. I have about 2 achers of woods to keep clean so like you say why waste it. :cheers:

RAS or chop saw?

I've been thinking about an easy way to cut up stuff from 1" to 2" diameter to use for kindling. It just seems so awkward to do stuff this small with a chainsaw. I've been thinking about getting an old radial arm saw or miter saw to cut it up. A used cheapy 8" or 10" model with a course crosscut blade would work fine. No bending over required, and you could even work inside when it's cold or wet out!

Indiana John said:
I've been thinking about an easy way to cut up stuff from 1" to 2" diameter to use for kindling.

How about one of those oversize hatchets with the 24" handle and the 1.5lb head. Cut yourself a 3-4' tall "chopping block" to avoid the bending and just lop off those really small branches to length. Sounds like fun actually.

Ian

Why not get a pair of leather gloves and a tube of elbow grease for the small stuff and cut the bigger kindling with the loppers and or hatchet? I am guessing you are healthy enough for this approach but if you are not, I recommend you try a scaled down version of Marks sawbuck.

Me too, it saves me so much time. I used to collect branches and small trunks and cut them up weekly, so as not to fall behind. Now I have a large sawbuck that I just pile stuff on (safely) and when it is full, I cut it all up in a matter of minutes. I had seen bucks before, but Marks is by far he best.
I am actually considering building a small version, to cut down logs to fit in my stove. Peco was nice enough to take down a dying tree for us and leave the rounds for firewood, but they cut them a bit too long.

Well, if you are like me, and move it from place to place, I'd take yours anyday Mark. Mine is probably bigger than yours, but it is made mostly with 2x4s so it is pretty light. Let's hear it for us!

Well, looks like my picture hosting service canceled me or something, so all my purty pictoors are gone! I've gotten a few emails lately about this sawbuck, so I'm trying again with a different hosting service. Here are some pictures:

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/album.php?album=30321

Now that I've used it a couple of seasons, I would probably do one thing different - I'd make the back about a foot shorter. I like having it taller than the front, but what I've got is more than needed, and is just extra weight. I'm glad I made it out of treated 2x4s, though.

Have fun, folks!

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for reposting the pictures!

Mark,

Your sawbuck is simple, yet very functional. I hope to build one like it next weekend. I never thought of making the back taller than the front. Great idea.

Thanks again for reposting the pictures.

Jon

Mark,

Your sawbuck is simple, yet very functional.

Rather like my brain.... :D

I hope to build one like it next weekend. I never thought of making the back taller than the front. Great idea.

Yes, it makes loading easier, and also lets me pile higher in back. It's worked out well.

Thanks again for reposting the pictures.

Jon

Youse welcome! :cheers:

I now return to hibernation...

Found the pics on post 35 at the bottom of the quote. Worked for me.
Nice carpentry work there, by the way. I put mine together with screws. Pull the screws out and reuse 'em. The rest becomes kindling.
I've become a no-nail guy in my old age. Still have a little light, let me get pics.

Back