My new sawbuck. Whatcha tink?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little one on the left is 16" long. The one on the right is for propping up longer logs. Don't have a logjack yet.:msp_sad:
Scrap lumber and screws. Really easy to take apart. I've got several of the "longlegs" that I paint orange and leave in the woods.
New b&c on the 260:msp_biggrin:

Here is mine with my oldest giving it a try. I used ideas from Mark and Philbert (I think). I tapered the tops of cross pieces to allow a little more capacity and to keep the rounds snug while cutting. I kept the distances between the uprights such that even with the kerf of the chain I could get uniform 16's each cut.

As it is set up in the photo -- my first cut is on the far outside left, far outside right, then to the right of the remaining two uprights. To avoid too much waste, I created a memory stick about 4" longer than the total sawbuck length -- so the outside cuts are barely discs -- which you can see under the far left. It works great with the smaller diameter wood -- say 8" and under. Mine is certainly more weathered at this point, but it is holding up well after two years. I think I still have the sketch with measurements around here somewhere.

a>

Last edited:
I wanted something that would hold those limbs with branches running everywhich way. I use them for kindling. They are difficult to cut on the ground. So I made this handy little holder. It holds them pretty much at waist level and cutting is easy. Suprisingly it also holds some good size limbs. I have had some 6-7" diameter and it holds them good. Depending on the limbs I can hold 3-4 and gang cut them. You can see this in the picture. It even has held some long limb that curve down to the ground. I just work my way up. It has made cutting limbs pretty easy for me. The really large pieces I cut on my FEL forks. The distance between the 2 outside faces of the vertical rails is 18inches. If I question the length of a piece I can check it along the top. The swing arm is adjustable for larger limbs. I have only used it in its present position. Sometimes the limbs angle up above waist level but not a problem for cutting. I saw something similar on youtube and I went from there. I have added wheels, since these pictures, to move the unit easily around my wood pile. Pretty neat, works for me.

IMG_0689_zps20c31f8a.jpg

IMG_0688_zpsb2ee85d0.jpg

IMG_0687_zps54b579c0.jpg

I wanted something that would hold those limbs with branches running everywhich way. I use them for kindling. They are difficult to cut on the ground. So I made this handy little holder. It holds them pretty much at waist level and cutting is easy. Suprisingly it also holds some good size limbs. I have had some 6-7" diameter and it holds them good. Depending on the limbs I can hold 3-4 and gang cut them. You can see this in the picture. It even has held some long limb that curve down to the ground. I just work my way up. It has made cutting limbs pretty easy for me. The really large pieces I cut on my FEL forks. The distance between the 2 outside faces of the vertical rails is 18inches. If I question the length of a piece I can check it along the top. The swing arm is adjustable for larger limbs. I have only used it in its present position. Sometimes the limbs angle up above waist level but not a problem for cutting. I saw something similar on youtube and I went from there. I have added wheels, since these pictures, to move the unit easily around my wood pile. Pretty neat, works for me.

IMG_0689_zps20c31f8a.jpg

IMG_0688_zpsb2ee85d0.jpg

IMG_0687_zps54b579c0.jpg

I hope to be building one of these tomorrow...thanks for the inspiration.

I wanted something that would hold those limbs with branches running everywhich way. . . . .The distance between the 2 outside faces of the vertical rails is 18inches. . . I have added wheels, since these pictures, to move the unit easily around my wood pile.

Very nice.

Can you share the other dimensions with us, in case someone is interested in making something similar?

Also, any photos with the wheels?

Thanks.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back