my new to me toy :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to have an excavator actually that size is about perfect. I have a backhoe on the tractor and is a very handy tool just much slower than a excavator. Are you going to put a grapple on it?

I haven't had a chance to even look at what I need to do to add a thumb. I'm hoping in the off season that I can get one fabricated. What do you think about a mechanical thumb? I haven't seen any extra hydraulics for one.
Thanks,
Dave

Even a stationary thumb would
I haven't had a chance to even look at what I need to do to add a thumb. I'm hoping in the off season that I can get one fabricated. What do you think about a mechanical thumb? I haven't seen any extra hydraulics for one.
Thanks,
Dave
Even a stationary one would be handier than a...well, thumb! Maybe that's what you mean by mechanical
Never seen one without a ROPS on it
The ultimate firewoodin tool! Mount a splitter on it and go after the big stuff

The ultimate firewoodin tool! Mount a splitter on it and go after the big stuff

If it doesn't have aug/valve and plumbing for a hyd thumb, there is nothing on it to run a splitter neither.

Still handy with a manual thumb, just not quite as much.

Nice snag Dave, b4 long you won't know how you got along without it.

Even a "Fixed Position" Thumb will be 100 Handier than no thumb at all. You can still pinch stuff, whereas without it youd have to roll the bucket all the way in to pinch, Possible, But not ideal....

I would have to believe that there is a hydro circuit for the back pusher blade. If that blade is not needed it could be re-purposed. Just an observation.

If the neighbor brings his home tonight, I'll take a few pictures of the thumb

Its funny how many people swear by thumbs but the many of the guys who work these machines day in and day out still manage to make due without. I know a guy who has around 8 machines and not one with a thumb. I agree though if I were planning on doing firewood with one a thumb would be mighty handy.

Its funny how many people swear by thumbs but the many of the guys who work these machines day in and day out still manage to make due without. I know a guy who has around 8 machines and not one with a thumb. I agree though if I were planning on doing firewood with one a thumb would be mighty handy.

I agree to a certain extent depending on the hoe's main usage.

Slinging dirt/sand/gravel all day. Nope not needed.

The above plus, grubbing and clearing, demolition, rock walls, removing old concrete/asphalt.....it comes in pretty darn handy.

Welp, no John Deere came home today, but a cute little Bobcat mini-hoe rental did.

It has a thumb. I am used to the foot pedal to operate it but this had a 3rd joystick to operate to blade. The neighbor hauled ass by the time I could yell how to work the thumb.

In all honesty the only trac hoes up here that I see with no thumb are the big boys.

I just spoke with the neighbor about this topic.

He said he would never own a hoe without one. " I would never F*&^%ING own one," were his exact words. No thumb limits the scope of what you can do by 50% or greater.

Those figures are based on arm lengths of him going I can do this with a thumb compared to this (arms moving in) without.

@dave_dj1 , I also showed him the picture of yours and he said as long as yours is plumbed for it, there is a mini-hoe thumb on Auction Time under the attachments section that would work just fine for yours.

Back