My Old Truck, and the New One

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've had my Dad's old 96 Ram since he passed in 2004, and my sister has kept her husbands 99 Ram 4X4 since he passed a couple years after Dad. We were both keeping them mostly out of sentimental reasons. I really needed a 4X4, and Dad's truck was more of a "Cowboy Cadillac" than a truck. My sister was kinda weepy every time I talked to her and I thought she was gonna burst out in tears when she found out I couldn't keep her truck in the garage. I wasn't much better. I had 2 guys make offers of $3000 that wanted to make it a work truck, one was going to paint it from Emerald Green to Black. Thank goodness they both needed a couple weeks to come up with the money. The third person to look was a lady who wanted to use it as an extra vehicle to run errands, get mulch, lumber, etc. I lowered the price to $2500 and sent it home with her. Dad's truck only had 96,000 miles on it and was rust free. But, it needed the front end rebuilt and the paint was starting to fade. Skips truck, my new one, has 120,000 miles and is like new inside and out. It did have some rust on the rockers, but my sister had that repaired before she would let me buy it. Now I have to have a major change in the way I keep my truck. If my sister see's one speck of saw dust in it she will start crying for a week, Joe.

Dad's old truck.

My new truck.

Nice trucks..I love that series of Dodges.My 1996 Ram 1500 had 209,000 miles on it and ran like a top.The original 318 and auto transmission had never been apart.
Michigan winters got the best of it,rusted away.Mine was that same color maroon.

I have a maroon 02 that Michigan is starting to eat. I have to decide what is better let the rust run it's course or have it fixed. Only 80k on it so thinking of having the rust fixed.

Every time I see someone fix rust on a work truck, within a couple years the rust is back some place else. It's a never ending game that throws good money after bad! I'm going to let my DOGge rust!

SR

I hear ya Rob...More so trying to slow it down covering it up. Thinkin of rhino lining the bottom 1' around entire truck...hide and hopefully slow it a bit?

"IF" it's not -------------> "perfectly" clean, rust free and dry, all that rhino lining will do is, make it rust even more.

I'll bet you won't ever see it completely clean and rust free enough to put the rhino on it...

Sorry to have to deliver the bad news...

SR

Two words. Fluid Film. Do it before it starts to rust. Even once it starts its the best thing to slow it down greatly.

i just got a new truck last week got a 97 half ton ram with a 360 in it. shes got a catback straight pipes and boy does she sound good. unfortunatly minnesota has gotten to her a little bit and its rusting a little. always loved dodge and my nest truck is going to be a cummins as my hauling truck right now is a 95 f-250 that gets 8 mpg lol

Dodge is making chainsaw milling equipment?

Scott (cause that ain't no bandsaw) B

I'm always astonished by the kind of cars overseas people owns...
Dodge and general motors are just absent around here, and Chevrolet doesn't sale any car that can't fit on the backseat of one of those.

For rust: phosphoric acid and a good paint, and for hiddend parts once a year a good wash with hot water and a nice detergent followed by microcristalline wax orgy! I'm keeping my 1989 citroen c25 like that and believe me usually those usually go lacy...

For rust: phosphoric acid and a good paint, and for hiddend parts once a year a good wash with hot water and a nice detergent followed by microcristalline wax orgy! I'm keeping my 1989 citroen c25 like that and believe me usually those usually go lacy...[/QUOTE]
hmmmmmmmmm.................

Oil cut with diesel and a $13 bleach sprayer from walmart, homebrew fluid film. Works great.

Latest posts

Back