My pickup truck bed vs cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Old One Ton Dumper

Here's my truck loaded up with wood and scrap. It's a 1969 GMC 1 ton dump truck with a straight six and three speed with granny gear. I can't believe how much this truck will hold and pull. The last load was stacked above the cab all the way back to the tail gate pulling a dual axle trailer 1/3 of the way full of green oak.

Best $800 I've ever spent. In fact, it's the only vehicle I own that I earn money with! Once people found out I had it, they wanted everything imaginable hauled, wood, scrap, shingles, and top soil. Helps pay the tuition and book fees. The only problem is now that I've owned a 1 ton, I could never go back to a 1/2 ton.

Uh, REAL truck?

Ive got a 3/4 ton hauling a cord and a half.

Your 1 ton hauling just 2 cord? Id hope it could haul more than that.

Also, wanna race up that hill? I betcha Id win :)

Nice truck though :clap:

2 cords Is all that will FIT in the bed...that doesn't mean it can't haul more.

In a hill race I would loose big time, but in a hitch to hitch pull you would loose.:cheers:

Nice truck though :clap:
thanks I like it a lot. It's a real good truck for wood hauling because I never have to worry about putting too much in. It's worth every penny that I paid for it, plus I am not beating my F250 hauling wood.

I have a 89 chevy single cab k2500 4x4 longbed I paid 1,100$ for and with 6 foot wood racks I haul 252 cubic feet or 1.96 cords of dead red juniper(6x8x5.25). I can leave my house and be back home in 3&1/2 hours.

Most the men I've talked to say that the truck's engine and bed can haul more than the frame, springs, and shocks can withstand. A cord of hardwood, such as oak, locust, etc, can easily weigh over two tons, depending on moisture level and average log size. The greener it is, the more it weighs. The only time I ever overloaded my pickup was the day I filled it with green locust rounds.

I guess if you haul wood that far. If it takes $30 in gas to deliver 1 cord of wood I think they would be better off burning propane. For me to keep climbing up and down in and out of my truck bed, it would take me an extra hour to stack neatly, not to mention a sore back. I just chuck it in and be done with it, 1/2 cord tossed into the bed, and a 1/2 cord tossed in the trailer I tow. I won't deliver wood farther than 25 miles unless they want to pay for the extra mileage 50 cents per mile.

Jeez. I've delivered 150 miles at $2/mile. Many places wood is the only real option, no gas, fuel oil or propane have to get hauled in (most all delivery companies won't even throw tire chains on or leave gravel roads!)
And then there are plenty of customers that just enjoy wood heat, regardless of any savings or not.

Most the men I've talked to say that the truck's engine and bed can haul more than the frame, springs, and shocks can withstand. A cord of hardwood, such as oak, locust, etc, can easily weigh over two tons, depending on moisture level and average log size. The greener it is, the more it weighs. The only time I ever overloaded my pickup was the day I filled it with green locust rounds.

I did it with a cord of well cured willow firewood (89 f150 w/no helper springs). Truck told me me every mile of that delivery "DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN"

As far as doing deliveries, I higher recomend ditching a pickup bed and setting up the truck with a dumping flatbed. There's really nothing a flatbed can't do better.

My small truck has a 12ft flatbed, just under 8ft wide. It fits (and dumps) 2 cords. My big truck has an 18ft bed, 6ft sides, holds 5.5 cords.
Have 2 more trucks (f450s) to setup with dumps when I have time.

I haul a cord per load behind my 1/2ton f150 ext cab. 6x10 dump trailer with electric brakes. I have never hauled a stick of firewood in the bed of the truck.

I used to use a trailer too but it was a real pain (or not even possible) to get into some properties with that long of a setup.

Plus a dump truck is cheaper. Dump trailer that can haul 10k lbs is about 10-14k in these parts. I barely have that much in the 4 trucks I have.

Pretty well puts the kabosh on that pi$$ head saying he had two cord on his truck IDIOT!!!!

I used to use a trailer too but it was a real pain (or not even possible) to get into some properties with that long of a setup.

Plus a dump truck is cheaper. Dump trailer that can haul 10k lbs is about 10-14k in these parts. I barely have that much in the 4 trucks I have.
I built my dump myself. Its only rated for 7000lbs. A cord is a decent load. Since I dont sell wood, only place I have to get into is my own. I used to have a trailered 600gl hydroseeder. Some places I just couldnt get into pulling it with a 1ton 4x4. Finally cut the axle out and mounted it on the back of a 4500 flatbed. Could put the dump trailer behind the truck and pull it to site loaded with materials.

Back