My recent Muffler mod!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about Bryan's saw but it made a HUGE difference in my 361. She really has some snap now and best of all it sounds like a chainsaw instead of a sewing machine.

I just finished it up and started it up. RPM's went from 13,600 to 14,700 just by opening up muffler. Don't have a tach so I took it to friends. The H side on carb is max'd at the limiter cap. I knew she was running lean. I ordered tool from dealer will be here first of week. Have not put it in wood but man she sure sounds good. Can't wait to get it adjusted and tuned in. I used a 1/2" bolt spacer for pipe. Screen fit perfect. Took the mig to it, exhaust paint, and oven for 1 hour on 450. I'm pretty sure there is going to be a noticable difference. Is it pretty common to gain them kinda RPM's just from opening up muffler?

I would like to make a correction to my initial post. This is my version of Lakesie53's 361 muffler mod. My work doesn't hold a candle to Lake's expertise and wisdom on chainsaws. I would like to thank Lake for the great input to AS.

that looks really good. I'm having a hard time not doing mine, was wanting to wait til the warranty runs out but don't know if i can hold out that long:greenchainsaw:

Hi Grizguy, we are almost neighbors, I am in the Mt. Vernon area. I guess you are still cleaning up the ice storm damage with your 361? I did a Lake muffler mod on my 361 and I would suggest you go for it even if you are still in warranty. If something would happen you could always get a stock muffler and install it on your saw to avoid any warranty issues. The muffler work will make a huge difference in your saw's performance.

After all the reading I'd say go for it. I still have 6 months of warranty left so it was a tuff call also. I think I will see a big improvement. Can't wait to do some cutting with it.

Saxman yes we're still cleaning up down here what a mess! If ya don't mind sometime I would like to speak with you or maybe look at your saw with the mod?

Thanks for the help on the "mod" restraint guys, I see a hole in my muffler in the near future!:clap:

Well after getting limiter caps off and tuning carb in all I can say is "WOW".
Put the tach on it and set it around 14,100 and some change. I couldn't wait to run it in some wood. Took it up to grandfather's house to tackle a 38" white oak he had taken down by tree crew. It was to close to garage, and alot of it was hanging over building. To much risk for me. But I'll take the clean-up any day. Needless to say my saw came alive like so many others have said. I can't believe how restricted that thing was. It sounds great. If you follow Lake's instructions for the 361 you won't be dissapointed.

Bryan,what all did you do to the MS361 muffler?Did you just drill a hole a weld a pipe on or did you take it apart and gut it then put it back together and weld a pipe on.My brother is going to do his soon.Oh yeah,good loooking mod.

Well after getting limiter caps off and tuning carb in all I can say is "WOW".
Put the tach on it and set it around 14,100 and some change. I couldn't wait to run it in some wood. Took it up to grandfather's house to tackle a 38" white oak he had taken down by tree crew. It was to close to garage, and alot of it was hanging over building. To much risk for me. But I'll take the clean-up any day. Needless to say my saw came alive like so many others have said. I can't believe how restricted that thing was. It sounds great. If you follow Lake's instructions for the 361 you won't be dissapointed.

Thanks Bryan where did you get the clip and the spark arrestor screen?

Woodyman. I followed Lakeside53's 16mm mod exact. I used a 1/2" bolt spacer from hardware and used a hacksaw to cut 45 angle. Put pipe up to muffler on saw and traced before I pulled muffler. I didn't seperate muffler. Plenty of room in muffler for screen. I did get my screen from dealer first and took it to hardware to get a good fit in spacer. Mine fit perfect. I cut pipe at 1" on long side. If you go to Lakeside's 361 muffler mod you can see good pictures. Take your time and it's quite simple. Definately worth it.

Back