My Stihl 088 Magnum Teardown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
Just picked up this ole girl for $375. Starts right up, but upon inspecting the piston/cyl through the exhaust, the exhaust side of the piston has some carbon deposits and I wasn't sure if the top ring was stuck from the carbon buildup on the crown. So I'm tearing the top end down to clean the piston.

But I got to thinking what I have in this saw right now and decided I'll dump a few hundred bucks into replacing crank bearings, seals, and the rest of the goods to make sure she's good to go. Also have to replace the chain brake assy as it's MIA.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

Last edited:
It appears it's all carbon scoring, yes. I cannot feel any ridges or valleys on the cylinder walls, and I can scrape it off the piston skirt. Both rings are free as well. Big sigh of relief. Think I'm going to put that piston back in it. I didn't check compression before teardown. Granted my tester is a temperamental piece of junk that never reads the same thing twice but I'm betting with all the carbon it would have been way low.

I'm assuming the carbon scoring comes from not enough warm up time or ???

It appears it's all carbon scoring, yes. I cannot feel any ridges or valleys on the cylinder walls, and I can scrape it off the piston skirt. Both rings are free as well. Big sigh of relief. Think I'm going to put that piston back in it. I didn't check compression before teardown. Granted my tester is a temperamental piece of junk that never reads the same thing twice but I'm betting with all the carbon it would have been way low.

could have been running too much oil in the fuel?

Where did you get a running 088 for $375? Why cant I find those deals?

Man I tell ya, I'm always asking people the same thing! Then plop! This thing lands in my lap! :msp_w00t:

Keep your eyes and ears peeled. I'm constantly discussing burning wood to heat my house with the folks around here and it always leads to me asking them if they know anyone who has any old chainsaws. The first two saws I got, my MS180C and my 026, were FREE! :msp_razz:

could have been running too much oil in the fuel?

Makes sense. I thought I was buying a mosquito fogger when I fired it up the first time! None of my saws do that. The fuel I dumped out was really dark green. You could be on to something there!

I assume you'll be polishing up the cylinder and piston first?

I assume you'll be polishing up the cylinder and piston first?

Absolutely. I'm going to split the case tomorrow and hopefully have all my parts in by this weekend. She's going to be spotless inside and out when I put her back together.

Thinking about blasting the cases and repainting them as well. Might as well make her pretty while I got her apart.

Running pig rich with crappy oil. Look at the top of the piston, the wash shows it running rich.

Hi-

Nice saw, you must be super strong to use that thing all day. I struggle with the 395 at times. I rarely see anyone warm up there saw, I do warm mine up and people laugh at me for it but I do it they can laugh. Using Stihl Ultra (ASHLESS) and tune the carb a little rich will give long life.

Hi-

Nice saw, you must be super strong to use that thing all day. I struggle with the 395 at times. I rarely see anyone warm up there saw, I do warm mine up and people laugh at me for it but I do it they can laugh. Using Stihl Ultra (ASHLESS) and tune the carb a little rich will give long life.

Nice to see another Marylander on here!

Hi-

Actually I'm 6' 170lbs and can barely run my 360 for very long without getting beat! :msp_biggrin: It's definitely a heavy pig.

This is going to go on a chainsaw mill.

Everything torn down and cleaned up. Waiting on a center case gasket, crank bearings and piston pin clips.

289b5fb3.jpg

I saw my first ms880 at a local dealer-he had 2 two brand new of them all setup on the counter for a local logger, 41 inch bars. If you never seen one up close they are huge and make a 660 look small. the 3120 are also huge but seem taller (than the 880) and not as long (powerhead).

Yes, it is an absolute beast of a saw. I can't use it for a felling saw for more than one or two trees I bet. Especially if I throw a big bar on it.

Glock, I really want to go over this saw and replace the broken flywheel cover, worn plastics and every other little cosmetic blemish on it but I don't plan on babying this saw. Maybe when it comes time to retire it will I redo all of it. I'll stay on the lookout for replacement pieces along the way and stockpile some goods as I find them.

I'm only 24 so I plan on using it for quite a few years.

Where did you get a running 088 for $375? Why cant I find those deals?
You must not have been looking. :)

I just got the pictured saw - 088, 36" bar, 2 chains, boxes pictured AND an Alaskan Mark III mill for $450. Runs loud. Haven't had a chance to pull the muffler.
attachment.php

Where in North Mississippi? I've a house and land in Fulton.

Back