My top 10 wood stove accessories...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've owned a wood stove for several years now and narrowed the most essential accessories to operate it. Do you have other items that I'm not taking into consideration? Thanks for checking out my video.

I don't use a poker, made my "rake". Plain jane stainless steel stock pot, old school ash bucket, just don't dump and stir ash up. My scoop is a chunk of 1/4" steel plate 6"x12" no sides. That is on the "to do list" is make a good scoop. Next is building grilling grate that slides in stove to cook steaks and whatever else you want to cook. For now a cast iron pan works ok

No welding gloves, just use man hands......

Also, I clean the door glass with a towel, dipped in water and rub soot off door for about a minute. No need for cleaners. If you want to get crazy, dip wet cloth into ash and rub, cheaper than "cleaner"
20141205_224408_zpsfd352251.jpg

20141205_224426_zps961251ab.jpg
20141205_224421_zps79273b96.jpg

20141106_185740_zpsed82254f.jpg

Here are the only tools I ever use ...a long handle shovel , a long handled rake tool to drag coals to the front of the firebox ,a steel can for ash and usually I use welding gloves . I use ammonia based glass cleaner for the window ... Works much better than dipping towels in ashes and rubbing hard. .. A good cleaner gets the thick baked on stuff too wipe right off and far less abrasive cuz it won't scratch up the glass

For my owb my steel handle hoe, square point shovel, not much more needed. Built my woodshed over the stove and wired with lights. Eventually

I think a headlamp is cheaper than wired light and puts the light where you want it.

I like it simple, just a shovel and an old metal bucket for removing the ashes and moving the coals around.
No poker needed, no gloves.
For a steamer I use a nice stainless steal bucket and set it on top, or a coffee pot.
For a spacer for cooking and regulating the heat I just use the grill from my toaster oven. It fits just right!
I have plenty of land so I just sling the ashes out on the ground or I just make an ash pile out of the way somewhere.
I do use a thermometer but I use my laser Thermometer. I can just point it where I want to get a reading and it's instant and accurate.
I don't need to keep the glass clean, but when I do clean it, I just use plane old oven cleaner.
I keep a dry pile of wood on the back porch, but store no wood inside.

1, shovel
2, buckets, one for ashes, one for steamer.
3, Laser thermometer.
4, toaster oven grill.
That's it!

I don't use a poker, made my "rake". Plain jane stainless steel stock pot, old school ash bucket, just don't dump and stir ash up. My scoop is a chunk of 1/4" steel plate 6"x12" no sides. That is on the "to do list" is make a good scoop. Next is building grilling grate that slides in stove to cook steaks and whatever else you want to cook. For now a cast iron pan works ok

Also, I clean the door glass with a towel, dipped in water and rub soot off door for about a minute. No need for cleaners. If you want to get crazy, dip wet cloth into ash and rub, cheaper than "cleaner"
20141205_224408_zpsfd352251.jpg

20141205_224426_zps961251ab.jpg
20141205_224421_zps79273b96.jpg

20141106_185740_zpsed82254f.jpg

Hey tla, I got a bucket just like that. My Grampa had it then my dad now me. It's never left the house my great grandfather built. I wonder how many ashes it's carried.
those"buckets" were actually used to carry coal into the house it's called a Hod. for anybody that cares.:laugh:

Your "sifter" looks like it would make a decent grill for a steak, just put a stick of wood on that little shelf below the door and prop the handle on it. Or, you could get one of those long handled grilling frames.http://www.firecraft.com/product/ch...FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CLadjMCyv8ICFQ40aQod81YAuQ

Latest posts

Back