Name that wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DX250

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have no idea what this is. It has little to no smell, straight grained, splits easy, and is lighter weight than the pecan and oak that I have been cutting. IMG_20170325_194906670.jpg IMG_20170325_194857688.jpg IMG_20170325_194911376.jpg IMG_20170325_194923983.jpg IMG_20170325_194938501.jpg IMG_20170325_195956396.jpg

Cherry for sure. Add me to the list of those who say I can't believe you can't smell it. Some people love the aroma so much, they are willing to pay more for it than cherry. The only thing I can sell for more money than cherry is locust.

Are you all saying it should have an odor when it's cut, or only when you burn it? I wonder if it has anything to do with how long its been down? The last two I have cut up have been on the ground for several months already

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It should have a really strong (pleasant) odor when cutting. It will also have an odor when burning but from my experience, the greener it is, the stronger the odor. In the last 2 years, I have cut and split about 15 cords of it and loved every moment.

Ahh ok. I've got two the past month or so, but both have been down a while. I only notice the smell when I'm burning it. It is nice. I've been told I should sell some of it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

There may have been a smell when cutting but I was cutting next to a large pile of fresh cut oak that was really funky. Its been on the ground about a week now. The only odor when splitting is a slight generic plant smell. Everything you all are seeing is saying cherry, I can live with that as there will be a low smoldering fire built and a large chunk of meat placed above it.

Sent from this thing that doesn't ever seem to work right.

and here i thought it was going to be a tough one. Cherry all the way. i could give the scientific name in latin as many of you have already, but then everybody would know i have a wood problem.

I'd say black cherry doesn't usually have as strong (or obvious) an odor as oak or pine when cutting it; however, if you make a point to set your saw down and have a closer sniff of a fresh cut, it has a distinctive odor. To me, it's a pleasant sweet smell with a hint of spice.

black cherry.

just cut several of them down and taking 4 more down soon. I must have at least two full cords of it by now.

Latest posts

Back